Chapter 16: The Weight of Our Worth

Summary:

Everyone struggles to talk about issues they all have various ways of coping with, unfortunately just as things are looking up for the trio, a little drone comes along and one questionable decision on Robin's behalf leads the trio down a rabbit hole that may or may not alter not only the trio's but the fate of the entire planet.

Notes:

Chapter theme song!: https://youtu.be/EeEDRqDsj7c?si=iWx-XcoBrMt5e-yD please listen while reading for the best experience!

ROBIN:

"We have what we came for, let's take what we can and get the hell out of this tomb." Robin bit out sore and irritable.

The silence had long been deafening, yet the tension in the room had dispersed little, it was choking and almost as if she was being crushed under the weight of Ryley's uncertainty and Al-an's silent fury.

"Shit, I can't imagine spending another night here." Ryley sighed tiredly, shakily lowering himself to sit on the debris covered ground.

Al-an however quickly rebuffed the suggestion as he hastily circled around the room, ensuring there was nothing or no one else present, and no other breaches within the small safe haven.

"No, we will rest here."

"But-" Robin started, but Al-an was quick to clarify why this was.

"It is imperative that the two of you possess the energy to withstand the journey back. I will handle the transfer of these supplies, it is not far..however stopping midway will not be a viable option."

"Fine, okay, but how long will we stay..?" She wanted to get out of that place and never look back, but arguing with him seemed like a moot point, especially when Ryley was shaking like he was.

"Four hours should be sufficient, do not leave this chamber, it is one of the few rooms with the safety of a single entryway, I will guard this passage from the other side."

"Split up again...? I-I don't think that's a good idea..." Robin started but Al-an seemed ultimately undeterred.

"This decision is necessary, I will not be far away." Al-an replies shortly, there is a sense of finality in his words, one that leaves little room for argument.

"Ryley speaks up, shedding more light on the situation than her unhelpful companion was, though his explanation only makes the researcher even more anxious.

"Something's been following us, it's been ghosting our steps since you went missing..." Ryley clarified with a weary sigh.

"WHAT? and you want to take it on yourself?!" Robin snapped, however her agitation only provoked an odd clicking noise from her architect as he gave them both a deliberate once over.

"I will deal with it, the two of you would be of little use in the state you're currently in, your compliance would ensure the safety of everyone.." Al-an pointed out coldly, it was obvious he was still pissed at her but that didn't mean his indifference in such situations didn't irk the researcher.