Chapter 5

Pelumi

''Are you coming to help me today?''

''No, I have things to attend to so, not today,'' I said putting the phone on speaker.

''Oh, right,'' Iris said dragging the t.

''Why? What is it with that sound.''

''Nothing, I just saw you the other day with someone.'' He spoke. ''You are making new friends and I do not know.'' He added.

''Ooh right that is Giovanni he is a friend and yes, I am making new friends and I do not have to tell you about it,'' I said jokingly.

''Okay, okay just looking out for my friend. Anyway, when you are free let's meet up for dinner. it's my treat.''

''Okay see you then bye,'' I spoke.

The day has been so busy since morning. I attend dance classes, but I am a teacher. Teaching dance is not an easy job, but I love dancing, so I am not complaining. I started dancing when I was young, and I am glad I pursued my passion. 

Later that evening

''So how is the food?'' Iris asked.

''It's fine thank you,'' I said taking in a spoon full of food in my mouth.

''I think we should do this more often.''

''Are you serious we have been coming here since time immemorial,'' I said while laughing.

Iris has been my friend for almost five years now. I knew him when I was in high school, we attended the same class, and we became good friends. We share everything, you know what buddies talk about. And this has been our eating spot since high school. It offers very delicious food and am very glad that we could come here sometimes and just eat and talk about anything.

'' Try this one its...''

''Oh, wait my phone is ringing.'' Giovanni.

''Oh, Giovanni hello?''

''He- hello how are you?''

''Am fine how are you?'' I asked.

''Am okay. I was wondering if you are free this evening, I don't know.... maybe we could meet up for dinner if you are free.'' He spoke.

''Giovanni wants to join us for dinner is it okay?'' I asked Iris my hand covering the speaker.

''Yes, yes it's fine. it's about time you introduce him to me anyway.'' He spoke. I analyzed him for a bit before returning to my phone call. Okay

''Yes, am free. I am having dinner with a friend, and we would not mind you joining us. I will send you the location is it okay?''

''Umm yes, it's fine see you later then.'' He spoke.

After a few minutes, a text comes.

Giovanni: I am at the entrance could you like come for me?

******

''Iris, this is Giovanni, Giovanni, Iris.'' I introduced them to each other. 

''Hi, nice to meet you.''

''Umm you too. Sit down.'' Iris said.

Iris orders food for Giovanni. I could see he was a little bit nervous.

''Are you okay?'' I asked.

''Yes, am fine.'' He spoke.

The food comes and we start eating. We talked a little bit, but Iris was asking all the questions that he could think of. Making him nervous. 

''Iris can we at least eat first,'' I said trying to divert all the attention from Giovanni.

''Right, I am just curious about how the two of you met. He seems like he is not the type of guy to eat in such stalls. plus, he looks rich you know.'' He said shrugging.

''We can talk about that later,'' I spoke.

''It's okay you can ask whatever you want,'' Giovanni said. I looked at him and he just gave me a nod. I sighed. Okay

''See he does not have a problem with it,'' Iris added.

I let them talk but not that much because Iris was starting to get on my nerves. After dinner, we parted ways, and I offered to take Giovanni for a walk.

''I am sorry for that. I did not intend to make you feel uncomfortable.'' I started.

''No, it's alright I am not offended.'' He sighs. ''The sky looks beautiful. I have never really walked at night alone, but I love the scene and the cold breeze.'' He spoke.

I could not help but wonder what kind of life he lives. Does he stay indoors all time? I mean there is nothing wrong with that because I like staying indoors for the sake of my sanity but he...

''What are you thinking?'' He asks snapping me out of my thoughts.

''Umm nothing. The sky is beautiful indeed.'' I spoke.

''So where do you stay? Is it nearing this place?'' He asks.

''It's just a few steps away. Do you want to come and see?''

'' I-I- um am not sure about that.'' 

''It's just seeing my place if you are curious and nothing else, I said jokingly.''

''Okay.'' He says breathing out heavily. I mean I understand him. If it were me I would probably act the same. We have only a week into our friendship and going into a stranger's house would be a Dred. We walked for a few minutes and arrived at my place.

''Here it is,'' I said pointing out to him the building apartments. He looked at it in awe. My apartment is not that big, but it is big. I offer him my hand; he hesitated a little before taking it. I lead him inside and give him a little house tour. I was glad that he started loosening up a little and became comfortable. we talked for a little bit. After the house tour, I walked him back to where his car was waiting for him. He introduced me to his chauffeur who was also his bodyguard, and we said our goodbyes.

I later returned home, wondering and very curious about him. Walking around with a bodyguard is something. I sigh. Giovanni. Really pretty, naive, or innocent? What is the right word to describe him? I threw myself into my bed and wait for sleep to take over me.

What do you think about this chapter?

Comment and vote.

Thank you for reading.