Chapter 10

Giovanni's Pov

It's 7 am and I am sitting down in my dad's office. Mia's dad called my dad and told him that I have not been going on the arranged dates with her daughter and I have not been making any efforts to communicate with her. That is true. I do not feel like we have chemistry, and it would be unfair to me and also to her. We would both be wasting our time on each other. 

''So, what is happening lately Giovanni? Are you not sleeping well? You have dark circles under your eyes.''

Dad's question brought me back to reality, and I was glad he did not go directly to ask me why I was not spending time with Mia. Maybe I could talk to him more who knows? Maybe he will understand. I just need to talk.

''A lot has been happening,'' I said. My dad looks at me and he nods his head, and I took it as a sign to continue. So, I continue. He sits down directly to my face; the table was the only thing that separated us.

''Dad, you remember I told you about my passion for art, I enrolled in a school of arts, and I am expected to report on October 4th,'' I said and kept quiet and let him process what I have told him. After a moment of silence, he speaks.

''You did?'' He asks and I nod my head. 

''Why did you not talk to me about it? I could have helped you out. I mean I am not angry; I am just disappointed that you did not trust me.'' He speaks.

''I know Dad and am sorry I thought when I tell you, you would bring a tutor home and I do not want that. I want to explore the world on my own, Dad. I am almost 20 and there's nothing I have done for myself so far," I continue." but do not worry I have a friend who helped me with the application.'' I spoke.

''A friend?'' my dad asks

I nod my head.

'' tell me more. '' he says.

I continue to tell him about Pelumi how we met, what he does, and the many occasions that I have been to his house. I felt at ease talking to someone about Pelumi and I could not help but wonder how he was doing. I have not seen him for a few days now nor texted or called him, but I will. I decided. 

''That is the reason why I have been avoiding Mia. I do not like her dad and I do not feel like anything will go on between us in the future I add.'' he looks at me.

''what do you feel when you are around Pelumi?'' His question caught me off-guard, But I was glad he asked. 

I tell him how I feel like I could be myself and how he is always there for me when I need help. he just nods and says okay.

''I will tell Mia's dad that you are not interested in her daughter therefore any arrangements made should be terminated,'' he said.

I was surprised I expected him to react in other ways, but he did not. And he read my mind.

''Do not worry son I am not mad at you at all am proud that you decided to do things your way, but it is always good to ask for help when going through something and you can also talk to me am your dad after all.''

 He says and he rubbed my shoulder and I nod in agreement. I excuse myself after our talk. that went well than expected I thought.

*****

After Giovanni left his father's office, Mr. Romano could not help but wonder if his son was gay and he was trying to figure himself out. The way he had talked about that boy, Pelumi showed more feelings than just those of friends. he understood him well because in his teenage life, he has not been fully around his son and maybe he could have helped him in his journey. Mr. Romano poured himself a drink and sat down. If only his wife was still alive, he thought. Since his wife passed, he has not engaged in any romantic relationship, so he does not even know how to deal with this situation.  I just need to trust Him and believe in Him. if he has come this far as to enroll in a different environment without asking for help, he could also do well in whatever he wants. He thought. He was proud of his son, to say the least, and as a father, he ought to support him and be there for him emotionally and physically.

Mr. Romano called his P. A and told him what he is supposed to do about the date. Mr. Romano kind of felt guilty because he has controlled Giovanni all his life. He was just scared after he lost his wife and he thought he would lose Giovanni too. So, he decided to keep him under his eyes, no going out, no engaging in school outside, and everything he needs will be done by him in the house he did not even think about his feelings, or even realize what effects could be upon Giovanni as he grows up, he did not think about his childhood. Giovanni did not even have friends and he was happy to hear that he had made one. He sighs. but now is not the time to think of all the things I did not do for him I need to support him and be there as his father and maybe try to listen to him and his opinions. he thought.

If Giovanni turns out to be gay, he will not have a problem with it, he will support him all the way. He thought that whoever his son decided to love is not a problem as long as he is happy. That is what matters.