Chapter 7

Pelumi

It has been weeks since we had that dinner. Giovanni and I had been going on and off texting and calling each other. I am glad we are making progress in our friendship, and he is opening up to me more.  I never thought that I would be this interested in someone and be so deep into them. I even called my mom and told her about him, and she was excited for me. Well, I never tell my mom about my boyfriends or introduce them to her, but Giovanni is something else. I do not know, but I have not introduced him to my mom yet.

Iris has not been talking to me ever since that day.  It's just a ''hey, good morning'' and that is all. Just out of the blue. I mean the last time he was not that okay having Giovanni around, but I did not know that he would take it that deeply. 

''Hey Iris, are you okay? You seem tensed. Is something wrong?'' I asked. Because since morning he has not said a word to me, and I am worried.

''No everything is fine.'' He says bluntly.

''Really are you su..''

''Everything is fine!'' He said dropping the cloth he was holding aggressively on the table. ''You know what Pelumi, I am actually not okay whatever is going on between you and Giovanni.''

''Nothing is going on at least not yet. But why are you so worked up about it?'' I asked.

''Both of you are head over heels in love with each other and you are ignoring me.'' He spoke.

''I am not ignoring you, Iris. You are the one who is setting all these boundaries. Since that dinner, you have not even said a word to me. You were okay when I brought Giovanni but now you are not. What is really wrong?'' I asked.

''I was not okay, and I am not okay. Giovanni is pretty, and attractive and are you really his friend or do you just want to have him in your bed? Do not get me wrong I mean according to how I know you. You are always after sex.'' He speaks. ''Does he even know that you are gay?'' He adds.

''That is not in your place to know,'' I said angrily.

''I mean I am kind of worried if he finds out you know...'' He continues but I cut him off.

''I am leaving.'' I grab my bag and phone and I walk towards the door. I still do not understand what his problem is with me and Giovanni.

Later that day 

I invited Giovanni to my place because he said he needed help in choosing what school of arts he wanted to join. He showed me some of the drawings he had done, and they were really amazing. He really is very talented. We made several applications to various schools but not in one day, we choose the best schools out of his list that were recognized as best, and we just have to wait for them to call us.

''You seem a little I do not know, worried.'' He speaks.

''Oh yeah, I just had an argument with Iris that's all. So, when will you tell your dad about the applications, we are making.'' I asked him so that I can divert his attention from me. But it did not work.

''Do you want to talk about it?'' He asked instead.

I took a deep breath debating whether to tell him that we were arguing because of him. I chose not to tell him.

''Not really,'' I said.

''Okay."
"I will tell my dad when I get accepted that way, he won't deny me from attending.'' He spoke.

Just in time the phone rings. We look at each since the caller id was not saved, we assumed it might be from the schools we have just been applying to.

''Take it.'' I urge him.

''What if I am not accepted,'' He asks.

''We will try again, okay? Let's listen first.'' I said.

He presses the receiver button.

Giovanni

''Hello?''

''Am I talking to Giovanni Perez?''

''Yes, this is me.''

''We are calling following the application you made to join Brush Tu art school.''

''Yes?''

''You have been accepted and are expected to report on the 4th of October.''

''Really? Ah ah yes 4th October.'' I could not contain my excitement.

''We will send you more information via your email. Congratulations on your successful application.''

''Thank you,'' I said and the call ended. 

''I have been accepted." I said excitedly and hugged Pelumi 

''That's great Giovanni. See I told you. you are very talented and of course, they could not refuse you I am happy for you!'' Pelumi said

I looked at him and said thank you. In the course of our excitement, I did not notice how close we were to each other. Eye to eye. I could feel his breathe on my face and his scent. Oh, he smelled so good. I thought.   I inspected his face and looked deeply into his eyes. Those brown eyes, out of reflex I licked my lips, and our faces were getting close like something was pulling us to each. Suddenly his phone rang sending us back to reality. 

God!! What was I going to do? Why am I breathing heavily, and why is my heart racing? We gave ourselves some distance and he excused himself to answer the phone.

What was I thinking? Why did I even get and feel the urge to kiss him? I really messed up. For sure. I thought. 

 After his phone call, he came back.

''I-I am sorry for what happened,'' I told him. 

He looked at me. ''It's okay,''

'' I-I should have not... done that.'' I started.

''Giovanni calm down it's not like it's a crime.'' He said holding my hands. I took my hands away from him.

'' I-I think I need to leave,'' I said while picking up my things from the table and heading for the door.

''Giovanni wait.'' He said but I did not want to look at him because I was a little bit embarrassed.

''Text me later, okay?'' he said. 

''Okay, I will,'' I said and I left. I called my uncle to pick me up before I die of embarrassment. Ugh way to go Giovanni.