Chapter 8: Other Kingdom

--(Other brother POV (Yuichiro)--

       "I'm up." I said, grumpily. The maid quickly stopped poking me and stood back. I sat up and looked at the girl,

       "We will deliver you your breakfast soon, sorry for the inconvenience." She said, leaving the room. Apparently Mother has grown even more ill, Father hasn't left her room. She was already sick, it's gotten worse and worse. We even called the best doctors and they've run tests, we're waiting on those.

       I miss my brother. . . . What if something happened to him?! I'm not an idiot- I saw the tear stains on the letter he sent me yesterday. He says everything is fine, and I should be worried about myself, but that is the least of my concerns right now.

       I responded to his letter as soon as his letter reached me, I said something like 'You better get your fat ass back over here' or maybe. . . 'If he even so much as glares at you, I will skin him alive' something like that I really don't care to remember the details.

       I stood up and got out of bed, heading to the bathroom to change out of my sleeping wear. I came back out a minute later and stared out the window. It normally takes Ginko hours to fly back and forth from kingdom to kingdom, but if it's urgent she's normally pretty quick. I sent her back with a response last night, that's a whole twelve hours. Where is she?

      What if she's dead- what if she got shot down with an arrow by some bird hunter? That almost happened years back- that's why she got a fancy teal harness and note carrier to make her stand out more as a pet/messenger bird.

       What if Muichiro's dead?! What if mother dies? And then father dies- what if I become king?!? I'm only 14!

      One of the maids came into my room and set down a tray with a plate of food on it. It was your average breakfast, she bowed and left the room. I wandered away from the window balcony doors, I must have wandered over there in deep thought. I sat on my bed and looked at the plate. Any appetite I had, I no longer have.

       Even though it looked un-appetizing, I decided to at least take a bite or two. It was fluffy scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. I picked up a fork and slowly picked up some eggs and put it in my mouth. I had taken about two bites when the window burst open.

       "HELLO PRINCE YUICHIRO!" Ginko shouted, scowling. She flew into the room and landed on top of my vanity.

       "Ginko, please don't be such a pain!" I whined trying to reach her. She scowled and dropped down onto my head. I grabbed her, and despite her frantic squawking I removed the new letter from her harness. I hurriedly unfolded it,

-_-_-_-

       I'm ok! Please! Genya won't stop hiding behind me now, thanks. He's a sweetheart, I would cry if you did anything to him. We've talked to the Queen, we're coming later today, PLEASE DON'T KILL GENYA! And. . . when I get there, don't freak out. The king is very against it, I'll tell you more in person, I'm rushing to write this. By the time it reaches you, we'll probably be packing our items. We're going to sneak out with four other people, Sanemi, Giyuu, Rengoku, and Senjuro. Six technically including Genya and me. We're going to stay over and hide out there, it's- not- s-

-     _     -     _     -     _     -     _     -

        It was cut off there, the letter was even ripped. I flipped it around looking for any more possible information. That was it, what happened? Is he ok? He never ever rips his letters, and if he does he comes and apologizes in person. He is a major format freak. He loves making everything as neat as possible.

        "Ginko- What happened?" I say turning to look at the bird.

        "They had to hurry and in a panic to get going, the letter ripped and I lost the other half. Sorry. . . ." Ginko apologized, she seemed genuinely miserable.

        "It's alright. . . . What happened to them so that they were in such a hurry? Is Muichiro. . . ?" I stopped, thinking of all the possible ways Muichiro could have gotten hurt. I sat down on my bed and just stared forward.

       "Nono! He's fine! They're fine! They just had to hurry out of the castle!" Ginko says, coming over to me and laying her wing on my lap. I look down at her, and she looks at me. We sat there for a little while.

       "Yuichiro dear, the king has requested you to visit him in your parents room." A butler said from outside the room. I frowned,

       "Ginko, please return to Muichiro's side, tell him I'll talk to him when he arrives. . . ." I said, standing up and heading to the door of my bedroom. I hear Ginko get up and fly out of the window. At least Muichiro will have someone by his side.

       I started to walk to the hall. I took a turn, and continued down hallway after hallway. I arrived in front of our parents room, staring at the big fancy door. I sigh, knocking on the door.

       "Whoever it is, go away," Father's voice echoed from inside the room. I gulped,

       "Very well Father." I began to turn away, but the door opened and I got pulled in. I yelped a bit at the sudden touch, but I realized he was just. . . hugging me? I froze for a moment but hugged him back. He stopped hugging me and turned to me with a light smile.

       "Please, come talk to us." He said, returning back to a stool by mother's bed. She was laying on bed, the covers reaching her shoulders. She had her eyes weakly opened, and she was still smiling despite being sick. I nodded and came to their sides, there was a stool waiting for me already. I sat down on it and looked at both of them. I felt sick, nervous.

       "Yuichiro. . . ." Mother said, she coughed though, and gasped for air. Father instantly helped her, giving her some water. I frowned,

       "Please don't speak Mother-" I said. She shook her head and just weakly looked at father. He sighed,

        "We know you and your brother are close, so we're asking. . . . I'm asking, is he alright? Have you had any messages from him?" Father asked, I gulped, did Muichiro not send them anything? I mean, I wouldn't have either.

      "He's sent me a few letters. . . . It's only been four, five days since he went to their kingdom." I said quietly. Father nodded, and mother looked at me, urging me to continue.

       "He's fine, he seems to like Genya. . . ." I paused, remembering our most recent messages.

       "He's coming." I mumbled without thinking.

       "Today?" Father asked alarmed,

       "Why hasn't their king said anything?" He asked again.

       "They're sneakily coming, sneaking!" I said, shushing him. He grabbed Mother's hand, she had fallen asleep.

       "What time, who?" Father asked again.

       "Uh. . . . Six including his friends as well, I think. Sometime today, I don't know an exact time." I said, Father stood up and led me out of the room. He talked to some guards, telling them to keep an eye out. Telling maids to get guest rooms ready. This is the first time I've seen him so. . . like himself.

      "Yuichiro, will you wait for them out front? I have a feeling Muichiro will want to see you." He asked me, beginning to turn around to go back to mother.

      "Yes father. . . and please, take care of yourself, and mother." I said before turning and walking down the hallway to the front gates.

      "I will. . . thank you. . . ." He mumbled before turning and walking away. . . .

~ (⁠◕⁠ᴗ⁠◕⁠✿⁠) ~

Words: 1310