CHAPTER ONE

Being a single mom was never part of the plan. However, in the face of a once-loving relationship that turned sour, Pendo chose to take care of her beautiful child. It wasn't a hard decision; she had fallen in love with her child the moment she found out she was pregnant. Despite the embarrassment, trauma, and emotional turmoil she endured during her pregnancy, she pressed on for the sake of her newfound love.

Pendo took control of her life and thrived. With the support of her family, she managed to establish an online business. She named her daughter Mara. Slowly but surely, she ensured that her daughter never had to face the hardships of struggling for food, clothing, or anything else. Mara, who was fast approaching three, was a bright and headstrong girl who made Pendo's heart swell every time she saw her.

With Pendo's life finally settling and looking up, she decided to explore the idea of letting someone in and maybe finding love again. Fortunately, in the sea of individuals seeking superficial connections, she discovered her perfect match. James, a handsome and accomplished man, possessed both a stable income and the ability to engage in meaningful conversations. What began as a mere social experiment soon transformed into a successful love story.

James was the kind of man any woman would introduce to her family, and he effortlessly won their hearts from the start. Despite his age, he exuded respectability and maturity, having earned his name and place in society and ensuring he achieved his ambitions of establishing his own business. He was considered very successful and was able to retire his mother and live comfortably.

Driven by loneliness, James was determined to find love in every way possible, which unexpectedly led him to a woman of breathtaking beauty. For him, it was love at first sight—she was everything he had ever desired. True to her name, she was not only lovely but also radiated an abundance of love. Asking her out was effortless, and soon every weekend became a treasured blend of their time together. Despite his modest means, he took her on hikes and picnics in and around the captivating city of Nairobi. Within a mere six months, he found himself contemplating a formal commitment and yearning to introduce himself to her parents, envisioning a future with her.

In the chilly month of July, as Nairobi embraced its characteristic cold, James found it to be the perfect time to embark on his plans of visiting Pendo's parents in the tranquil village. Determined to surprise her, he made his way to her residence in the eastern suburbs of the city. The housing in these areas catered to young individuals starting out, with a modest appeal. Although security was not the strongest during the night, the affordability of everyday commodities made up for it. James contemplated finding a place nearby if Pendo would agree, envisioning a future where their lives intertwined even more closely.

In Pendo's tribal context, proposals were more of an agreement than a simple question. Once a couple decided to take the plunge into marriage, the next step involved informing the parents, often residing in the village. On some occasions, the man would directly approach the parents, inquiring if their daughter's hand was available for marriage. The parents would then consult their daughter, seeking her opinion on the proposing man. However, if the man happened to be wealthy, the question of the daughter's consent was often disregarded, as they would unceremoniously coerce her into marrying him.

Confident that Pendo would agree with his intentions, James felt eager and excited as he prepared to visit her parents. He had visited her house a few times before, picking her up for dates, so he was taken aback when a young girl opened the door upon his arrival.

"Uh... Hello," James greeted, a bit uncertain as he looked down at the child.

Mara blinked up at him, her big eyes full of curiosity. "Hi!" she chirped.

Momentarily bewildered, James contemplated double-checking the apartment number when a familiar sound reached his ears—it was Pendo, calling out to the child as she made her way to the door.

"Mara, who's at the door?" Pendo's voice came closer.

Unbeknownst to James, Pendo had never intentionally informed him about her status as a single parent. Nor had he been aware that Mara, Pendo's daughter, frequently visited her mother's home when he came to pick her up. Pendo carried the weight of the stigma associated with single motherhood in the African community, a societal judgment that often inflicted pain. While she took immense pride in being a loving parent to a beautiful child like Mara, she yearned to protect the budding connection she had nurtured with James. Her plan had always been to invite him over one day and disclose the fact that she had become a mother at a young age.

Mara, recently mastering the art of opening doors by stepping onto her little stool, eagerly responded to the knock she heard. Before Pendo could catch up and discover who stood on the other side, the truth had already been revealed.

James looked up, his expression shifting from confusion to realization as Pendo appeared behind the child.

"Pendo...?" he asked softly, his voice carrying the unspoken question.

Pendo swallowed hard, knowing there was no turning back now. "James, there's something I need to tell you," she began, her voice steady but tinged with vulnerability. "This is Mara. My daughter."

James blinked, trying to process the information. "Your... daughter?"

"Yes," Pendo confirmed.