FIVE

Things appeared to be on the mend between Pendo and James after the challenging meeting with her mother. Yet, beneath the surface, a nagging doubt gnawed at Pendo's heart. She couldn't shake the feeling that James might be reevaluating their entire relationship and the proposal he'd made.

As she pondered these thoughts, a blood-curdling scream from downstairs shattered her reverie. Without a moment's hesitation, her instincts kicked in, propelling her down the stairs in a frantic rush. The source of the horrifying scream was none other than Mara, her beloved child, lying at the bottom of the staircase outside their apartment, twisted in a painful, unnatural position. The sound of Mara's cries pierced Pendo's heart like a dagger.

In a heartbeat, concerned neighbors gathered around, their faces etched with worry. One offered the use of their car, while another kindly volunteered to house-sit for them. The urgency of the situation was undeniable, and Pendo knew they needed to act swiftly.

With their help, they gently cradled Mara, whose cries served as a heartbreaking reminder of the pain she was enduring. In unison, they carried the little girl to the waiting car, their hearts heavy with concern. The rush to the hospital became a desperate race against time.

Outside the hospital entrance, the bustling atmosphere was a stark contrast to the turmoil within Pendo's heart. A handsome young doctor, Dr. Femi, strode briskly with an air of confidence, his white coat billowing behind him like a cape of authority. Caught up in his world, he failed to notice Pendo, struggling to manage her young child while simultaneously trying to navigate the crowded hospital entrance.

In her haste, Pendo accidentally bumped into Dr. Femi, causing him to jolt slightly and almost lose his balance. Irritation flashed across his face, and without thinking, he let out an exasperated sigh.

"Watch where you're going!" he snapped, his voice laced with annoyance.

Pendo, flustered and overwhelmed, responded in an apologetic tone, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you. My hands are full with my child here."

"Excuses won't fix your lack of awareness. Some people need to pay attention," Dr. Femi retorted, his words sharp and dismissive.

Pendo, now embarrassed and on the verge of tears, tried to explain, "I didn't mean to... I'm just trying to get my daughter to the emergency room. She fell and hurt her leg."

"Well, that's not my problem. You should be more careful," he stated coldly, already turning away.

Suddenly, Mara, who had been oddly quiet up until now, let out a pained whimper. Pendo's face contorted with concern as she instinctively checked her child's leg, realizing something was very wrong.

"Oh no, sweetheart, your leg... it looks broken!" she gasped, her voice trembling with panic.

Tears welled up in Mara's eyes as Pendo's heart raced. Dr. Femi's expression shifted from annoyance to a mix of guilt and realization as he witnessed the sudden change in the situation.

"Shit, wait, let me help. I... I didn't know. It looks bad," Dr. Femi stammered, the weight of his earlier callousness settling heavily on his conscience.

Frustrated and on the verge of breaking down, Pendo's voice trembled with emotion. "It's fine, just go on with your day. I can handle it," she said, her words laced with bitterness.

Pendo held Mara close, her protective instinct kicking into overdrive. Dr. Femi, now feeling deeply remorseful, hesitated before speaking again.

"I'm truly sorry. Let me call for assistance. We'll get your child the help she needs," he offered, his tone now filled with genuine concern.

"Thank you," Pendo muttered, her voice strained with exhaustion and relief.

As Dr. Femi fumbled for his phone to call for help, the weight of his initial indifference hung heavily in the air, a stark contrast to the urgency of the situation.

In the gleaming sterility of the operating room, Dr. Femi worked with unwavering focus, deftly maneuvering through the delicate task of treating Mara's injuries. His hands moved with precision as he fought to stem the tide of internal bleeding. Beyond those sterile walls, Pendo paced restlessly, her nerves raw from their earlier clash, her fingers interlaced in silent prayer. A nurse offered a kind word of solace, assuring Pendo of Dr. Femi's seasoned expertise and the unflagging dedication of the medical team.

Hours later, Dr. Femi's determination bore fruit. The rhythmic beeping of the monitors echoed his triumph over the medical challenge. His shoulders sagged with a mixture of exhaustion and relief as he stepped back, wiping the perspiration from his brow. Emerging from the intense concentration of the operating room, Dr. Femi discarded his surgical gloves and approached Pendo with a blend of weariness and understanding. Pendo met his gaze, her eyes glistening with unshed tears, ready to mend the frayed fabric of their earlier interaction.

Upon entering the hospital room, Pendo's heart shattered into a million pieces at the sight that greeted her-her beloved daughter, Mara, lying in the sterile hospital bed, wires and medical machines surrounding her like an intricate web. Overwhelmed by the scene, Pendo's facade of strength crumbled, and the floodgates of her emotions burst open. The weight of accumulated stress and tension hit her like a tidal wave, causing her to collapse into a chair beside Mara's bed, her shoulders heaving with silent sobs.

The rhythmic beeping of the machines seemed to mirror the erratic rhythm of her own heart as she grappled with the agony of seeing her precious child in such a vulnerable state. It was a heart-wrenching tableau of helplessness, fear, and an unyielding love that refused to be anything but raw and unfiltered in the face of this ordeal.

Dr. Femi, inherently empathetic, stood at the threshold of Mara's hospital room, a silent witness to Pendo's heartbreaking breakdown. His eyes, accustomed to the sterile precision of medical procedures, now bore witness to the raw, unfiltered anguish that only a mother could feel.

Torn between his duty as a doctor and the compassion he felt for Pendo, Dr. Femi hesitated. For the first time, the rigidity of his clinical routine clashed with his desire to offer solace to a grieving mother. His internal struggle was palpable; he glanced at his pager, acutely aware of the rounds he needed to continue, the lives he needed to attend to beyond this room. Yet, his gaze remained fixed on Pendo, his heart aching with the desire to provide comfort in this moment of profound despair. It was a battle between professional obligation and the human connection he felt-a decision that weighed heavily on his shoulders and etched lines of conflict on his face.

Finally, taking a deep breath, Dr. Femi stepped forward, his voice gentle but firm. "Madame ," he began softly, "I know you're hurting right now. But I want you to know that Mara is in the best possible hands. We're doing everything we can to help her recover."

Pendo looked up, her tear-streaked face a portrait of anguish and hope intertwined. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice breaking. "I just... I can't lose her."

"You won't," Dr. Femi assured her, his own voice steady. "She's strong, and so are you. You'll get through this together."

And with that, the distance between them-once marked by harsh words and misunderstanding-began to close, replaced by a shared determination to see Mara through the storm and into the light of recovery.