FIFTY THREE

As Femi and Pendo prepared to start their dance, they couldn't help but notice the shift in the room's energy when James and his wife entered. Their arrival immediately drew attention, not just because they were late, but because the woman beside James was a well-known figure in the philanthropic circles that supported the hospital.

From the snippets of conversation they overheard, Femi and Pendo quickly realized that this woman was one of the hospital's major donors, someone whose contributions had significantly impacted its growth and services. The revelation sent a jolt of surprise through both of them, though for different reasons.

Pendo's heart skipped a beat as she recognized James, walking confidently beside his wife. It had been some time since she last saw him, and the sudden appearance of him in such a significant context felt like an unexpected twist of fate.

Femi, on the other hand, felt a mix of emotions—initial curiosity quickly replaced by a sharp, protective instinct as he glanced at Pendo, who seemed momentarily lost in thought. He tightened his hold on her waist, a subtle reminder that he was by her side.

James and his wife were now engaged in conversation with some of the event organizers, their laughter and easy smiles indicating a level of comfort that contrasted sharply with the tension Pendo and Femi were feeling.

The realization that James's wife was not just a guest but a significant donor to the hospital only added another layer of complexity to the situation. Femi could see the wheels turning in Pendo's mind, her expression thoughtful as she processed this unexpected turn of events.

Leaning closer to her, Femi murmured, "Well, this just got interesting," his tone a blend of amusement and seriousness.

Pendo nodded, her gaze still fixed on the couple across the room. "I didn't expect this," she admitted softly, her emotions swirling in a confusing mix of unease and lingering attachment.

Femi's eyes darkened slightly as he studied James from a distance. "Let's see how this plays out," he said, his voice calm yet firm. "We're here together, and nothing changes that."

Pendo found comfort in his words, the warmth of his presence easing the tension that had momentarily gripped her. Whatever challenges the night might bring, she knew she could rely on Femi to stand by her side.

As the evening progressed, the unexpected presence of James and his wife lingered at the back of Pendo's mind, subtly overshadowing the festive atmosphere. Needing to gather her thoughts, she excused herself from the dance floor, gently pulling away from Femi's grasp. He offered her a reassuring smile, which she returned before making her way to the restroom.

Inside the restroom, Pendo took a deep breath, grateful for a moment to herself. She glanced at her reflection in the mirror, trying to shake off the unease that had settled in her chest. Seeing James tonight had stirred emotions she thought she had long since buried.

As she adjusted her dress and ran a hand through her hair, the door to the restroom quietly opened behind her. Pendo didn't immediately notice until she caught movement in the mirror. Turning around, she was surprised to see James's wife standing there, her expression unreadable.

There was a heavy silence as the two women regarded each other. Pendo felt a surge of anxiety but quickly composed herself, uncertain of what was about to unfold. The other woman, however, didn't seem confrontational. Instead, she looked resigned, as though she had something important to say but wasn't quite sure how to begin.

Finally, James's wife took a deep breath and stepped forward. Her voice was soft, almost fragile, as she spoke. "I'm sorry to intrude, but I needed to talk to you," she began, her eyes reflecting a mix of pain and determination. "I know who you are, Pendo, his ex-fiancée."

Pendo's heart skipped a beat at the sound of her name, but she kept her expression neutral, waiting for the woman to continue.

"I've seen how he looks at you today," she said, her voice trembling slightly. "I've known for a while now that James has feelings for you. I'm not here to blame you, but... it's hard, knowing that the man you are having a family with has his heart elsewhere."

Pendo felt a pang of sympathy for the woman standing before her, clearly struggling to keep herself together. The tension in the room was palpable, and Pendo found herself at a loss for words.

James's wife continued, her voice thick with emotion. "I'm not here to fight, and I don't want to cause a scene. I just... I just want you to know that I'm pregnant." She paused, letting the gravity of her words sink in. "And I know that no matter what I do, I can never be you. James will never love me the way he loves you. Ours was a marriage of convenience, but now... now there's a child involved."

The admission hung heavy in the air, and Pendo's heart ached for the woman who stood before her, vulnerable and desperate.

"I'm begging you, please," she whispered, her eyes pleading with Pendo. "Let him go. For the sake of our child, for the sake of this new life... please, let him go."

Pendo felt her throat tighten, her mind racing as she absorbed the woman's plea. She hadn't expected this, and the weight of the situation suddenly felt overwhelming. She could see the anguish in the woman's eyes, the deep fear of losing the man she loved, and it was clear that this wasn't just about her—it was about the future of an unborn child, about a family on the brink.

James's wife looked at Pendo with a kind of sorrowful resolve, as if she had already accepted the outcome but was making one last, desperate plea. "I know I'm asking a lot," she said softly, her voice breaking. "But I have to do what I can for my baby. So I'm asking anyway, because I don't know what else to do. Please, Pendo... let him go."

With that, she turned and left the restroom, leaving Pendo standing alone, her mind reeling from the encounter. The weight of the woman's words hung heavily in the air, and Pendo found herself staring at her reflection in the mirror, questioning everything she had thought she'd put behind her.