Chapter 4

You wake up to someone gently pushing on your arm. At first, you think it's Minho. You roll over and are incredibly disappointed to find that, instead, it's Alby waking you up. "Hey, Greenie, I need to talk to you about something really important." He says. Reluctantly, you sit up and listen to what he has to say. "Last night everyone noticed that you and Minho never came back. We searched for you both for at least an hour until Thomas found you both laying here together. Look, I know that you aren't sure what's going on here - none of us really do ourselves - but Minho is trouble. I saw the way he looked at you last night before you left with him. He's been here for years now. Same as some of the others such as myself. We're all teenagers here and you're the first girl to have ever come from The Box. Minho will try to take advantage of you, as will some of the others. I made a new rule to keep you safe: anyone who touches you or tries to have sexual relations with you will be banished. No trial, no anything. Banished." Alby's words didn't seem to make much sense to you since it was so early. But it became clear what he was saying when he got to the banished part. Instantly, you were panicking over Minho.

"What happened to him?" You asked. Alby just looked at you for a long moment before answering.

"He's not in any trouble, so relax. Since this rule was just made, anything that went on between you two last night can't be held against him." You started to feel relieved, but then you felt aggravated with Alby. It wasn't his choice, was it? Yeah, he's the leader, but still, your body is yours and you get to choose what someone does to it. This wasn't fair to you.

"Look, Alby, I really appreciate the concern, but I don't need rules to keep me safe. I'm fine, honestly. We didn't do anything last night except for kiss. I swear. You don't have control over what I do with my body and that's final. If I want to keep kissing Minho, then I will. So just keep your nose out of it." You were seething with rage. You hate being told what to do, especially when it's from someone who you just met yesterday and has no answers as to why you're here. You weren't going to take that shit from anyone. Especially not him.

"Look, Greenie, I a-" You cut him off.

"My name is not 'Greenie' or 'Greenbean' or anything else, got that? My name is [Y/N], so start using it." Yep, definitely angry. You glared at him and if looks could kill, Alby would be dead right now.

"Okay, [Y/N]. Got it. But my rule still stands. I don't want anyone taking advantage over you. You're a person, not someone's toy. We all have to get along here and you and a guy having relations could get in the way of that. No sneaking around with Minho or any of the other boys. That's final." Alby says in a stern tone. You're still glaring at him. He can't and won't tell you what to do.

"Fine." You finally say, even though you plan on breaking this rule. You start to get up and walk past him before you say something you'll regret, but he calls you back.

"[Y/N]!" He calls. "You start working as a Medjack today. Head over to where Newt is and he'll show you where to go. And remember what I said." You're still mad, but now you have a question bugging you; What the hell is a "Medjack"?

***

After having Newt explain what a Medjack is and answers a few of your other questions about The Glade, you go off to the Homestead to find Clint - The Keeper of the Medjacks. He's nice enough, but can be such a know-it-all.

Clint shows you how to bandage up certain body parts and how to use some of the few medical instruments that the Medjacks have. You found it pretty simple, but also very boring. Finally, a bell rang which signaled lunch.

You go to The Doors of The Maze and decide to wait on Minho to to eat. You waited for ten minutes and eventually Newt came up to you. "The Runners don't come out of The Maze for lunch. Sorry, Love." You stare at him not understanding. If they don't come out for lunch then do they just go without eating the entire day? "They take a light lunch and a few snacks to eat when they get hungry. Don't worry, Love, he'll be back soon," Newt says as if he read your mind. "C'mon now, you need to eat. I didn't see you at breakfast this morning." He was right. You were so pissed off at Alby this morning that you had skipped breakfast and found a secluded spot to cool down.

Once you and Newt got to a group of tables and got some food from Frypan, you began eating. You were so busy filling your quite empty stomach that you didn't even notice Newt talking to you. "Hey, I've asked you at least ten times now, do you remember your name yet?" He asks. Embarrassed that you didn't hear him before, you nodded.

"It's [Y/N]." You say. "I remembered it last night when...umm-"

"When you were with Minho." He finishes for you. You nod feeling your cheeks turn pink. The thought that you had spent the entire night with him and hardly knew him just made things worse. "Hey, Newt," you say, "can I ask you something?" He nods as he takes a bite of his sandwich. "Do you think that Minho was just taking advantage of me last night?" Newt looks up at you with a weird expression on his face.

"I can't answer that," he says. You feel your heart and stomach drop. Did Minho say something to him this morning? Newt notices your sad expression and explains. "What I mean, is that it's been a while since any of us have ever seen a girl. It's possible, but I don't think he did." Your heart and stomach both lift a little at his words. "He hasn't said anything to me about last night. He was too shucking pissed off at Alby and his new rule this morning. The only person he talked to was Thomas. From what I heard, it was him who told Alby where you two were. I guess he wanted to have a talk with him." The mentioning of Alby just made your entire mood worse.

"Alby had a talk with me, too," you said disgusted, "he said that I couldn't have any relations with anyone or they would be banished." Newt just looked at you. He wasn't surprised or anything of the sort. He looked more curious than anything. It made you even angrier. "Look, just for the record, Minho and I didn't do anything last night if that's what you're thinking. The most we did was kiss and when we lied down in the grass to sleep I got cold, so he took his shirt off for me to put on. That's it. So stop looking at me like I'm a shucking slut!" You practically yelled the last sentence. This time, Newt looked surprised. Not that you cared. You were shaking now, and you could feel your face burning.

Instead of staying there and finishing your lunch, you decided that you had to leave. You had to do something to help release the stress. You started to get up and just as you did, Newt grabbed your wrist and started to saying something, but you cut him off. "Don't shucking bother. Just because I'm the only girl and kissed Minho last night doesn't make me a slut. I'm not going to listen to whatever you have to say. So let go of my wrist and leave me be. Now." Newt locked his eyes with yours and let go quickly.

You left as fast as you could and went to The Maze. Only one thing could help relieve your stress.