On Her Own

Haerin walked out of the farmhouse, the same luggage she brought at the beginning was held by Y/n. It's time for her to go back and Y/n promised to walk with her. Their promenade was filled with awkwardness- not really different from how they spent their time lately.

Though they knew that they might regret leaving some words unsaid. Because of what Haerin said, which was to keep waiting, made they thought that they could say it later. Because there's another time anyway.

The closer they got to the hotel, the more they became like a stranger to each other. A wide space where a person was enough to fit between them didn't make them realize.

Y/n finally took the courage and stopped her pace. In front of a closed store, the moon and the light streets illuminate the night, giving the chance for both of them to see what's around them. That's where Y/n decided to talk. "Haerin"

Y/n called her name softly, full of tenderness. In fact, Haerin had been waiting for it. She didn't want to end their last meeting (at least for now) sorrowfully. So, Haerin thought, maybe Y/n called her name in order to remove discomfort.

"I have been thinking about it, for days. Waiting- is expected to be hard, but I know you, Haerin. You hate it when you keep someone waiting. You want me to hold back, but your life will be rushed instead. Time is limited and you want to end the waiting game quickly, so-"

Y/n clasped Haerin's hands and continued, "If it's getting hard for you, if you want to stop, if you want to focus on other things, you can always tell me to stop waiting. We will keep contacting each other, right? You can tell me through them. As long as you don't say anything, I will wait. I promise"

That's the second time Haerin cried on this trip. The moment she looked at Y/n's face, she was greeted with a sincere smile. Any words that came out from Y/n were genuine.

She didn't even think of that possibility. Y/n was really precious to her. If she wanted to take a step forward, Y/n had to be that person who guided her.

Without the need to wait or kept someone waiting, would they really ease the unpleasant or painful feelings? Would they immediately remove the passion, fondness, or maybe emotion which they knew they were there before?

They had happened. All the memories they had. There's nothing they could do about it. If moving forward was the only way, they would find chances along the way.

Y/n extended her right hand, waiting for Haerin to reach it. The moment their hands intertwined, Y/n said, "No hard feelings, okay?" and proceeded to give her biggest smile.

They reached the hotel within an hour. No one was waiting in front of it because it was pretty late already and it's not like Haerin had friends, to begin with.

"Then... See you next time?" it was Y/n.

"Yeah, see you when I see you"

After releasing the hug, both of them were waving their hands. Y/n saw Haerin walk into the hotel and she started to walk away.

Everything seemed to be going well. It was like a normal farewell. Hard to let go at first, but now both of them didn't feel dejected.

And that became Haerin's biggest regret.

She should have at least asked for another hug.

She should have said, "I love you"

Or maybe she should have gone back to the hotel alone in the first place.

She wanted to sprint and reached for Y/n, but she could only feel herself walking toward her room, completely reassured because of what the younger girl had said before.

Haerin never felt this helpless. When Y/n and Haerin talked about memory re-player, they only spoke of the positive aspects it would bring. Never occurred in Haerin's mind that it would only leave her lacking the power to change their fates.

"Haerin"

Her waiting game was already over before she could even ask Y/n to stop waiting. She didn't even have the chance to rush her duties. Her desire of running away was no longer could be held.

"Haerin"

If she didn't believe in fate or destiny, then what had Y/n sowed that she deserved to reap this destiny?

Unfair and unreasonable how her life partner met her end before her dreams could come true.

"Haerin"

She opened her eyes and was instantly greeted by Danielle's pair of eyes. With the sound of the opened machine's door, cold mists came out and it wasn't taking a lot of time to merge with the room's air.

"It's been 30 minutes, so I woke you up" That's all Danielle could inform which got a nod as a reply. She never knew why Haerin always took exactly 30 minutes to utilize the machine and had no courage to ask because the latter ended up looking exhausted.

She handed a handkerchief to Haerin, she knew that Haerin would use it almost quickly. Concerned for the anxious girl, Danielle gave a soft pat on the back.

"It's okay. They are all in the past"

It didn't make Haerin any better, but she couldn't show it. She knew the older girl tried consoling her and that it would be rude to talk back.

The mention of the past really got her thinking about it. Maybe the question wasn't about going back alone, asking for hugs, or confessing her love.

'Why she keeps replaying that part only to let her remorse get bigger and bigger?'

One thing is for sure, Haerin didn't know the reason herself.