Puzzles & Intentions

*7:55 PM*

 “So you’re telling me that just this early afternoon, he killed again and rather than the typical family, he murdered a woman who lives alone?” Art nodded solemnly, presenting the crime scene photos to the woman who was already looking through her previous files. Pushing her lips together in a straight line, (Y/n) was speechless as she flipped through the pages. “Umm… am I crazy, or does she…”

 Art nodded and interrupted (Y/n). “Yup. She has the same features as you do. You could practically be sisters.” 

 “Huh.” (Y/n) continued to flip through the photos with a blank mind until reaching the end, before formulating her thoughts. “So, I think the message is pretty clear. His M.O. is drastically different, especially the main message. He carved a frown instead of a smile. He’s probably pissed at our encounter?” 

 Art sighed deeply and nodded before furrowing his eyebrows. “Yeah, but didn’t you say that he seemed happy to fight? I mean with the laughing and smiling.” 

 “Well… yeah, but now that I’m thinking about it more clearly without the extra adrenaline clouding my judgement, he seemed less than happy as time went on. Especially when he was leaving the factory. I yelled out to him that I would stop him no matter what it took, and he just stared at me… almost like he was… maybe, afraid? No, that can’t be it.” The woman began to chew her fingernails as the two racked their brains for ideas in silence.  “We know I made him upset somehow, but how and why?”

 Art clicked his tongue in annoyance as he took the crime scene photos from (Y/n) and looked at them once again. “You know what’s really bugging me, is why would he not kill you if he was as strong as you say he was. It sounds like he barely left a mark on you compared to what he was capable of. Does he know about the connection of the symbol with your brother?”

 “I don’t think so. I haven’t told anybody about it except for you all these years, not even our parents before they passed. So unless my brother is alive and came across this killer, the chances of that are slim to none.” The woman stopped biting her fingernails entirely. “If I think back more to when I first stepped into the van that took me there, he was very adamant that I look at him, which I thought was odd. I refused to look at him and told him he’s nothing but scum to me and that really seemed to make him upset. He really wanted to make the whole situation personal. That’s not entirely abnormal for a psychopath of his nature, but for him to have not killed me or punished me further as a result of that is unusual.”

 “I read your statement on the driver as well. Are you sure you can’t remember any specific details about him?”

 The woman adamantly shook her head. “None, only dirty blonde hair and an extremely small stature. They didn’t even talk whatsoever, but the driver definitely wasn’t a hostage being threatened. That part doesn’t make sense either. His M.O. doesn’t permit him to have a partner in crime because he’s too dominant for that. The driver also didn’t seem to care about where we were going or what we were doing, either.” 

 Squeezing his temple, Art felt himself getting more frustrated by the minute as he tried to piece together a puzzle that seemingly didn’t add up. “So, he wasn’t a partner in crime, then. Could just be a confidant that our unsub trusts.” The more they discussed the matter, the more confusing it got. That doesn’t add up… in fact, none of it does. As of now, I’m the only connection between what we know and what we don’t know, and I can’t comprehend any of it. His motive is still in question as well. Originally, we thought it could be familial issues since only families were targeted, but now that me and my personal life have been targeted, it makes even less sense.