Soul & Mate

Author's Note: I recommend re-reading the last chapter or two to understand this chapter better.

Underlined speech means they are speaking German.

Floating like a feather, barely breathing as though if she were heard, she would cease to exist --- (Y/n) could no longer tell whether the water on her face was a result of the water beneath her, or her own tears flowing down her face. The full moon above her seemed to pity her, wondering alongside the woman when things would get easier --- or if they ever would. With a sigh, (Y/n) let out all the air in her lungs and allowed the chlorophyllide water to overtake her. Live or die, it's up to you now, she seemed to silently speak to it. I no longer have the will to make such a decision.

*1 year earlier*

Gasping awake, Kaylee felt her head pounding as the blurred sunlight disrupted her sleep. Rolling over, she grinned as she heard two sets of footsteps approaching her quietly. Through her hair, she could see Anastasia in a short pink sundress with strawberries on it. Giggling, Anastasia ran up to the bed and hugged Kaylee. "Kaylee, you weren't supposed to wake up yet!"

Hugging Anastasia back, Kaylee giggled alongside her before pulling her into the bed. "I'm sorry, I must've missed you too much to stay asleep!" Blowing raspberries on Anastasia's tummy, the room filled with laughter as Johan began laughing from the sidelines. The two loves of my life, he thought sentimentally to himself. Putting the tray of breakfast on Kaylee's end table, Johan dove headfirst into the bed, causing both girls to cackle as they all three entangled themselves in the sheets and tickled one another. After some time had passed, Kaylee began to share her breakfast with Anastasia. "Thank you to both of you for making breakfast, by the way."

Johan smiled sweetly before kissing Kaylee on the forehead. "Anything for you, my love." Rising from the bed, Johan stretched his limbs before cracking his fingers and beginning to put on a maroon tie and his matching belt.

Anastasia frowned cutely. "You have to work, Dad?"

Smiling back, Johan kissed Anastasia on the forehead after tying his tie. "I do, Sweetheart. Not to worry, I'll try not to be home too late tonight." As Anastasia shrugged his response off and continued to eat the pancakes with butter, he murmured to Kaylee, "We have a new suspect in the drug smuggling ring that we recently apprehended, so I simply have to interview him and try to piece some things together. Not to fret, nothing dangerous." That was a lie; Kaylee doesn't need to know what kind of ring it actually is, however.

Kaylee rose from the bed with a nervous smile before beginning to straighten Johan's tie. "That's why they pay you the big money, isn't it, Chief?" Kissing one another goodbye, Johan hugged Anastasia before waving goodbye once out of the house. The home they shared with one another was small but cozy, with Kaylee being there more often than not recently. She had only arrived in Germany 6 months prior, but befriended Johan and Anastasia the day she had gotten there. After 3 months of being just friends, Johan asked Kaylee to become his girlfriend. This was something Kaylee was originally apprehensive about, not because she didn't like Johan romantically, but because dating someone with a 5-year-old daughter was a huge responsibility that she wasn't originally sure she was ready to take on. She fell in love with Anastasia just as much as Johan, however, so she found herself unable to resist.

They spent a long time getting to know one another. Kaylee found out that Johan was the Chief of Police there in Besigheim. Anastasia's mother had been shot and killed when she was only 3; a rather recent event that Johan still struggled with a bit. Kaylee was there for him through all his good days and bad, striving to be the best partner she could possibly be. It would seem to any observer that things between Johan and Kaylee were moving quickly, but they wouldn't have it any other way. They were soulmates, perfect for one another. Kaylee had moved a lot of her things into the home recently, but still kept her flat where she would occasionally spend the night. It was a fairytale, a dream come true. There was only one point of contention to Johan, one sliver of doubt that plagued his mind unbeknownst to Kaylee --- her past, her identity.