Chapter I

WITR Part I- The Beginning

November 08, 2010....

New York City....

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday, Happy...Birthday to...you..." the guests sang.

The family first said goodbye to the guests that they will go to the veranda for a while.

"Happy Birthday our dearest Mackenzie!" her parents greeted.

"mhm" the little girl nodded.

"thanks, mom and dad"

"now that your 7 years old, do you want to go back in the Philippines na?" her Dad asked her, the very last question she wants to hear.

"Dad, you know na i dont want diba?"

"yes anak pero, our business partners needs to know you, to meet you" her Dad said.

"but why? Why me?" Mackenzie asked her Dad.

Mackenzie's parents look at each other, as if they were having a conversation through their eyes.

"Kenzie dear, ganto kasi yon, your our only daughter, our only child. And you know naman na we love you right? Our business partners need to meet you because, uh- maybe someday if we pass the company to you, they will be, or their company heir will be your business partner too" her Mom effortly explained

"you know that I will be sad when I go back to the Philippines right? Because I have no one to talk to there, because I don't have a brother" Mackenzie's defense.

"you'll be with Skylar, she'll be with you" Mackenzie's Mom said.

"and then one of our family's business partners also has a child" her Dad said.

"she can be your friend, Astrid is kind and beautiful kid" her Dad added.

"oh yes, Astrid dear. You know she's right here sa birthday party mo" her Mom happily said.

"Astrid and her Family flew from the Philippines to here in New York just to attend your birthday party" her Mom added.

"oh really? Now." she doesn't want to believe it.

"oh you dont believe us Mackenzie? Come i'll show you to her, you can play right away" her Mom gently drag her to where Astrid and her family is sitting.

"there she is Mackenzie" her Mom said and pointed to the girl sitting on the sofa.

"oh Astrid bless to your tita Maureen" Astrid's mother said to her.

"godbless, such a kind kid, mabait! saka masunurin! Di tulad nitong si Kenzie" Maureen joked.

"mhm Mackenzie Happy Birthday nga pala" Astrid's mother greeted.

"thank you po, tita Amanda" Mackenzie politely said.

"Mackenzie, maglaro muna kayo dyan ni Astrid, mag-uusap lang kami ni tita Amanda mo" Maureen said.

Maureen and Amanda just left Mackenzie and Astrid there who's now having a staring contest.

"uh, Hi! Ako si Astrid. 8 years old na ako pero nasa 2nd grade palang ako, nalate daw kasi ako nagstart ng pre-school sabi ni mommy kasi nagka-pneumonia daw ako" Astrid happily said as if she's telling a story.

"um pneumonia is respiratory infection-" just before Astrid finished what she was going to say, Mackenzie continued.

"that affects the lungs? Yes, i know it" Mackenzie seriously said.