𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻. 𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗱𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝗻𝗲𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲𝘀

AGNES HAD SPENT THE ENTIRETY OF her day walking up and down the busy streets of London

her day walking up and down the busy streets of London.
she had taken a cab, went to a store but no dress was good enough for her.

she had been brought up with an expensive taste but Lockwood's money had not been enough to buy a $1500 dress. so there she was, walking around until she could feel a sharp sting in her feet.
she stopped at a vintage clothing store, glancing at a dress displayed at the window that had finally snatched the girl's eyes.
Agnes entered the store, determined to buy the gown.

she arrived home with two bags on each of her hands, a new pack of Marlboro she payed a drunk homeless man to buy in her jacket's pocket.
"can I give you a hand with those?" Agnes stopped hearing the familiar voice. Quill Kipps had appeared on Portland Row, his hands brushing over his pants anxiously. he smiled.

"Quill are you following me?" Agnes turned completely now.
"no. no, sorry, I... I didn't mean to... I... I just saw you across the street, so I thought I'd... well." the man stuttered which caused Agnes to shot up her eyebrows, waiting for him to finish his sentence.
"I spoke to Saunders. he told me what you did the other night. formidable overarm, I hear." Agnes hummed in response, heading towards home with him following her a few steps too slow.

"you know Lockwood & Co. were nothing before you came along. no one took them seriously. but now that's suddenly all changed. and it's pretty obvious why."

"yes well, I'm sure that most of it is Lucy." Agnes smiled awkwardly.
"but before her...you changed a lot of things the way they perceived his company."

"yeah well, we make a great team." Agnes simplified.
"yeah? you're wasted here— and Fittes is a great place to work." Agnes looked to the dirty pavement, choosing her words wisely.

"I— Quill I do not think I could be in a work environment without them... I mean, I can't work properly without them anymore." she stuttered, gesticulating with her hands.
"plus, Fittes did turn me down once." she shrugged, continuing to walk toward the house but Kipps stopped her by putting his hands on her shoulders harshly.

"they made a mistake. look, I know he's probably told you I'm the worst person in the world. but if you're interested in finding out the truth, would you consider being my pair to the party?" Quill smirked, but it was nothing like Lockwood's cocky one.
Agnes looked at him, a blank expression in her face and a thoughtful mind.

"I can't." she shook her head. "I'm...I'm going with-" Agnes looked anywhere but at Kipps.
the boy clicked his tongue, "with Lockwood." his face was cold and hardened, hurt by the rejection.

"of course." he scoffed,
"nice guys always finish last." he smiled and Agnes held back a cringing look.
"I know I came in a bit too big with the party, didn't I?" the two laughed awkwardly.

"how about a coffee?" he looked hopeful.
does he not get a clue? "I'll keep it in mind, Quill." Agnes smiled politely. "I have your number so I'll just call you sometime. but now I've really got to get inside and..." Agnes smiled awkwardly, pushing through the boy towards her house.
"call me!" he said with a smile.