Chapter 5 the reaping

your pov

You and Peeta made your way to the reaping hand in hand.  both of your hands were sweaty since you were both worried for your families. you turned toward each other, since you had to split into gender groups.

Peeta: (y/n), before you going the other (girls/boys/people), i love you!

you went bright red and felt butterflies in your stomach. your body started to tingle as a smile spread across your face.

(y/n): i love you to!

He went bright red and rubbed his hand awkwardly on the back of his neck, you kissed him gently and then went of to get your signed in (blood sample taken? stabbed on the finger with a tiny needle and then your blood put inside a small bottle? idk what to call it.)

* * * 

you find yourself standing with a clump of girls/boys/people from your year, you exchange quick but meaningless greetings and then focus your attention on the stage. as the clock strikes two, the mayor steps up to the podium and reads the capitol propaganda he reads every year. then he lists the victors from the previous years. in 74 years you have had exactly 2; Haymitch Abernathy and Lucy Gray Baird.

Effie Trinket practically launches herself toward the microphone. "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favour!"  her orange wig is lopsided and you barely manage to conceal a laugh. you look over at Peeta to see if he noticed, but suddenly you are thinking of Peeta, and his name on the carefully folded strips of paper, you quickly look down. you do not want to think about that. (if you have a female sibling, you worry about them too, if you have a male sibling you think about them quickly, if you have a non binary/ genderless sibling, you worry for ages.)

Effie Trinket trills "Ladies/men/gender neutral First!"  and crosses to the glass ball with your name in. the crowd draws a collective breath ang you could hear a pin drop. Effie groaps around in the bowl for a moment and draws out 2 slips of paper. your heart beats fast in your chest.

" Tallom Richards and (y/n) (y/l/n)!" Effie practically screeches. your heart seams to stop

Authors note:

it was really hard to be gender inclusive in this chapter, so sorry if i messed up i tried.