chapter 2

You don't talk to Nara, Gyuvin, or Yujin for the succeeding days and there's a good number of reasons why.

Reason number one: you didn't have their phone numbers and can't text them. The first reason is the cause for the second: without their numbers, you obviously can't barge into the Hans' home each time you feel like hanging out with someone. You don't even know where Nara or Gyuvin live, either.

And lastly: at your parents' request, you got a job.

Starting from Sunday, you were registered as a part-time waitress at the local country club. You had to clock in at work for the minimum of 6 hours on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, working for $4 an hour. They had you mixing (non-alcoholic) drinks for the guests, and when you admit you had a learner's permit in driving, you were also appointed as the golf cart girl who would serve refreshments.

Your parents weren't even here. They were back in the city doing business on who knows what and probably drinking with their clients-- and on some godforsaken idea that their realtor friends suggested, they told you to get a job. ("Oh, my child xxx is having a great time working. Definitely gives her a new perspective. Y/n should try it out.")

"You'll be fine, Y/n," your dad consoled you from the other end of the phone line. "I know you want to enjoy the summer, I heard from Grandpa you made some new friends..." he sighed, and you imagined him massaging his temples out of frustration, "but your mom really wants you to do this. I'm sorry, kid, I can't do anything about it; I already tried convincing her."

Your relationship with your parents was good. Better than most, for sure. But when your mother wants you to do something, she will make you do it. And signing up as a part-timer to work your ass off and be underpaid at $4/hour is one of those things.

Today's a Wednesday. You're wiping down a table that some six year old puked on because apparently the cream of mushroom soup was too peppery for him-- and you wanted to gag too after finding chunks of McDonald's fries undigested in the puddle of vomit. What the fuck was that kid being fed?

Without noticing, someone sneaks up behind you and abruptly taps you on the shoulder. You flinch, still holding a rag towel as you try to finish up and never think about this puke again.

"How can I help--" You freeze when you see who it is, "Hi, Nara."

"I didn't know you worked here," she blinks, moving her head past you to catch a glimpse of what you were doing. "Is that soup?"

"No! No..." You groan in defeat, "Yes. The last customer had a boy, like, six or seven and he absolutely hated mushroom soup."

Nara looks nice. Wearing a fitted white tank and a pleated black a-line skirt, she also had an expensive watch around her wrist and a tennis bracelet in the other. You note the heavy pink racket and neon ball in her hands too. She's rich, pretty, kind, and close to Yujin-- lucky.

She fiddles with her bracelet when you turn back around to continue your job. "Do you... need help?"

"I'm alright, thank you for asking."

When you hung out on Friday, by the end of it, you deemed Nara and you to be closer than before; she even expressed that she didn't want you to leave. But now... seeing her outside without Yujin or Gyuvin, she was out of your league, and you felt tense talking to her.

Presumably, she felt it too because her lips part slightly to speak but nothing comes out. It's quickly after you gather all the dishes on the table and place them in the tray to bring to the kitchen, she trudges behind you. "Could I have your number? I wanted to text you these past few days but I asked Yujin, and he didn't have your number."