chapter 2.5

For a split second on the phone, it's quiet from both ends. You nearly squeal and have an excruciating urge to turn over face first, bury your face into a pillow, giggle and kick your legs. It takes approximately 5 more seconds for Yujin to change that.

"The others will be there too," he adds. That makes sense. You felt stupid thinking that he wanted to spend time with only you... who are you to him anyway?

You try to mask your disappointment. "What time should I come over?"

"For lunch. My mom wants to see you," he hastily says in one breath. It's barely comprehensible and he sounds nervous, but that could just be you being delusional.

"Okay. I'm sleepy, good night, Yujin."

"Good night, Y/n."

With that, your conversation cuts.

That is how you find yourself on the way to Yujin's house the next day

That is how you find yourself on the way to Yujin's house the next day. Not before dropping by your grandfather's shop, of course, which was the three-fourth mark to the trajectory of the Han family beach house.

"He keeps forgetting things," you mumble to yourself, swinging the paper bag of packed lunch your grandmother prepared this morning. "He forgot something yesterday, he forgot something today too..." you sigh, gaze focused on the ground below you as you amble along the sidewalk.

You lived in the suburbs of the coast. There weren't really a lot of events happening, and when there were, they were scheduled near or in the city. You don't frequent the city adjacent to the coast when you stay for the summer, either. Partly because it's a little far away (you definitely can't get there by foot-- which was your main way of transportation), and partly also because you have no reason to when you can enjoy city life when summer ends and you go to live back with your parents. You even have a rule you've kept to yourself: for the summer, you will only stay at the beach, even if you dread it.

So, it was really just ironic when you found out from Gyuvin this morning that the fair you were supposed to go to on the weekend was in the city. You'd just gotten out of the shower and drying your hair over call with him when he nonchalantly mentioned it. "I'm so excited to go to the fair. It's in the city though, so we'd have to drive... maybe like forty-five minutes?"

You had no idea how friendly Gyuvin was until he called you at seven in the morning. When you accepted, he started screaming so loud it sounded like he was right next to you. "Y/n, wake up!"

You wondered if you were this close as friends for him to be yelling in your ear so early in the morning (especially because you just met him a week ago).

But it's kind of nice. You found out this morning from him that Yujin--although he stopped spending his summers at the beach a few years ago and had left you confused--moved permanently to the coast in autumn of last year, which is why you didn't see him when you visited last summer.