chapter 3.5

Mr Han jolts up from his seat, setting his stance behind his son's chair and patting him on the back, simultaneously asking him if he was okay. Your eyes focus only on the boy in front of you, but you don't miss the laughs erupting from his younger brother (which sounded weirdly distant, considering he sat next to you).

You quietly observe Yujin's movements as he recollects himself. He choked (at the thought of dating you?). You questioned whether he was uneasy at the thought of it, or if it was seriously just because he happened to choke at the same time his mother brought up the idea. Either way, you still felt a little hurt and a weight had settled itself on your shoulders.

"I'm fine, don't worry," he says, waving his father off and taking a sip of water. When he lays the glass back down on the table, he subconsciously makes eye contact with you. You want to ask him another time if he's alright, but he glares down at his practically untouched plate before you can even get a word out.

 You want to ask him another time if he's alright, but he glares down at his practically untouched plate before you can even get a word out

After lunch, you follow Yujin up to his room at his mother's instruction. Although you had offered your help with the dishes and cleaning the table, or any other chore she had to do around the house, she shook her head continuously, instead telling you to "enjoy some time with Yujin."

You push the door close. You're cautious of sitting beside him after how he's been acting today; with how he stopped talking to you on the walk to his house, and being silent throughout lunch and suddenly choking when his mom brought up your love life.

He sits on the edge of his bed, while you choose to sit on the floor, back against it. This was the second time you'd been in his room, but it was way more uncomfortable than the first.

It was so quiet that you could figuratively hear the crickets surrounding you. You wished Gyuvin was here so you could avoid this and he would talk both of your ears off and fix this situation, but at the time of his last text (12:49 PM), he said he hadn't even left the house yet. Even Nara could salvage this. If she came through the door right now, you would cling to her like you've known her your entire life just to avoid all of this.

Yujin shuffles from above you, getting up from the bed. He walks over to a shelf and crouches down, reaching his arm in and pulling out a card game. He looks hesitant to ask you to play with him; however, he positions himself to sit beside you on the floor, one elbow resting atop his knee. His other hand holds the box up, giving you an unobstructed view of the game.

"Do you wanna play?"

--

It absolutely sucks on your end that Yujin is so good at these games. You've played five rounds of Uno, and he's won over you with a ratio of three to two. The odds were in his favor with this round as well, as he slaps down a block card and a +4 consecutively onto the discard pile and saying, "Uno!" He shows the last card he has and of course it's another +4. You suppose luck just comes to people naturally when they're good-looking.