chapter 6.5

AUGUST, END OF SUMMER, 2017
ten years old

To say that you were unhappy that you were leaving a week before Yujin was would be an understatement. You were borderline miserable, begging your parents over the phone any time you got the chance. Your grandparents are no exception to this, and you were pleading your case yet again as they ate breakfast.

"Y/n, dear," your grandmother cuts you off in the middle of your speech. She doesn't sound too pleased with you, and you see your grandfather tense up beside her. Putting down her mug (with full black coffee poured inside), she swallows the bit of bread she was chewing a second ago and prepares to explain to you why you can't stay another week just for Yujin.

It was absolutely ironic that you, a girl who hated the beach and living with your grandparents, was at their feet asking them to let you extend your vacation at their house. All for a boy.

"We know you're good friends with him. Your parents know it too, trust me, but you can't extend a week here because you've got school soon," she calmly says.

You lean your head forward, your forehead hitting the wooden dining table beneath you as you sigh. Your parents wouldn't let you, and your grandparents were your only hope for convincing them. Now that they've both said no, it was abundantly clear to you that there was no way you weren't leaving by the end of the week.

You stand up from your seat at the table, excusing yourself politely despite being disappointed. Slowly stepping up the stairs one at a time, you decided to accept your fate, although the idea of leaving your only friend consumed you.

You didn't really... have that many friends, to put it simply. You're not the most friendly, and you're awkward and shy. So evidently, summer was the only time you could spend with friends--or just a friend--and that friend would be Yujin. Going back to the city meant going back to the life you had at school; no friends, no one who even dared talk to you, and being left lonely.

You suppose Yujin doesn't have this problem; you've always seen him around with his other friends, and he would mention them to you once in a while. You bet he doesn't even notice how shy you really are. It made you feel a little helpless, in fact--he was your only friend and you were one of many.

Yujin makes friends quickly, so there was no worrying on his end. But you were so much more shy than he was; he had other friends, and you only had him. Each time he introduced you to his friends, you're certain he doesn't see how you end up walking behind them. It's not his fault, but it didn't help that you had the biggest crush on him, either.

At the age of ten, these feelings are trivial. It won't lead to a relationship, and due to your circumstances, you won't even see him again until next year. But still, regardless of everything, you think these feelings are tiptoeing the line towards love. Or at least what could be love for the capacity of emotions a ten year old can feel.

 Or at least what could be love for the capacity of emotions a ten year old can feel