chapter 4

Work sucks terribly and you have half a mind to quit, even though you just started last week.

You're not even that good at driving a golf cart, really... you've crashed into bushes and spilt more drinks than you can count on one hand. But it seems as though some of the membership clients have taken a liking to you, and you can't just resign after only working a week.

It's questionable that the management let you, a freshly 16-year-old, without a remotely valid driver's license--only a permit--drive one of these godforsaken things. They're so hard to work, too. And as if it wasn't their fault for assigning you to golf cart duty, they've berated you for wasting their supply of drinks.

What makes all of the scolding worth it is remembering you're going to the fair soon. Sunday was rolling around faster than you could imagine, and it was now 4 PM on a Saturday. It makes you even happier that you get off work at five; only an hour left to slug out.

When you got home after hanging out with Yujin and his friends on Thursday, you were over the moon. Mainly because you were glad you made a few more friends, and you had some time alone with Yujin. Gyuvin finally got the girl, too; who knows how he did that (he has no game). He texted you after they went to dinner: "OHHH guess who has a gf now!!!" He followed that message up with, "it's me btw..." You left him on read.

Gyuvin is a good person, and he deserves a good girlfriend. He's friendly, he made you feel welcome, he was funny and, if he wasn't three whole years older than you, you might've developed a crush on him. So it's only right that he started dating a pretty girl like Eunah. She was exactly the parallel of him; sweet, kind, all that stuff. It nearly made you puke how two people can be that fit for each other.

Gunwook had offered to walk you home that day too, because he said he lived near you. You declined his offer--you're perfectly capable of walking home alone, especially in the densely populated coastal area--and you found that when you left at the same time from Yujin's house, he went the other way from you. He doesn't live near you at all. When you asked Gyuvin and Nara about it over text, they said that that was just how Gunwook is; he just wants to make sure everyone is safe.

Seungeon was tall, not taller than any of the other boys (maybe except for Yujin...), and whenever he smiled or laughed that day, he had cute smile lines around the corners of his lips. You liked the sound of his voice, too.

Although Yujin was shorter than the rest of the boys, he was clearly taller than you. He basically towered over you, and each time you spoke, you felt your neck strain from having to tilt your head up so much. After Gunwook had declared he was leaving, you took that as your sign to leave too. Yujin offered, again, to walk you home but just like the first time, you declined it. You could still feel the tips of your ears red from lying down so close to him on the bed.

Nara's tennis schedule had coincided with your shift periods, and she started to visit you at your job. She'd dropped by on Friday and earlier today, she promised to teach you tennis soon.

You put a pin in your thoughts because you see her approach you in your peripheral. She's holding her hot pink racket, she's dressed so well too-- you wonder what it must be like to be her. Her or Eunah, anyway. They were both pretty and rich. Not that that's all that matters in life, but...

"Y/n," she coos. "When will you be done?"

You shake a drink in your cocktail mixing-metal thing. You're not sure what it's called-- you're kind of a bad bartender, to be honest. Thankfully, you're not the real deal, and all you did was make virgin drinks. You screw the lid off, starting to pour some of the mixture into a glass.

"In an hour," you say, still focused on the presentation of your drink. Nara just watches. "We're all planning on meeting up. Ricky got a job as an ice cream scooper and, I don't know if you talked on Thursday enough to know this about him, but... he's never had a job before. So we're gonna go over and tease him."