Chapter 2 - Vents

Third person POV

The Gladers found out there were other mazes and they were having lunch with those kids.

'How long have you guys been here?' Thomas asked the two boys in front of them.

'Not long. A day or two.' A dark-skinned boy replied. 'That kid over there has been here the longest.' The boy turned his head and motioned at another boy. He was sitting all alone with a cap over his head.

'Almost a week.' The other boy added. 'His maze was nothing but girls.'

Minho turned his head again. 'Oh, really?'

The two boys' attention was drew to someone else than Minho. A girl, Nora, walked over to the boys.

'Damn.' One of the boys quietly said. 'She looks good.'

'Who's that?' The other boy his eyes opened wide. Both of them couldn't take their eyes off Nora.

'Now that my friends,' Minho patted Newt's shoulder. 'That's Newt's girlfriend.'

One of the boys raised his eyebrows and looked at Newt. 'Lucky boy.'

Newt tensed up a bit. He didn't like how they looked at Nora at all.

~

Nora's POV

Casually I sat down next to Newt. 'Hey.'

'Hello there.' A dark-skinned boy in front of Newt said. I didn't recognize him from anything.

I glanced at the boy for a few seconds and didn't say anything, before turning to the others. Minho let out a laugh. The boy pulled a face and continued eating.
'What is this?' I looked at the food. 'I don't want to be ungrateful or somethin', but Frypan's food looked way better.'

'It also tasted better.' Minho added.

'Good evening, gentlemen. Ladies.'

We all looked up and saw Janson in front of the crowd.

'He looks like a rat.' I whispered in Minho's ear.

'Rat Man.' Minho replied.

'You all know how this works. If you hear your name called... please rise in an orderly fashion, join my colleagues behind me... where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin.' Janson, or Rat Man, grabbed a list out of his pocket and started reading. 'Connor. Evelyn. Ev. Justin. Peter. Allison.
Squiggy.'
A few kids laughed at the name.
'All right. Settle down. Franklin. And Abigail. Now, now, don't get discouraged. If I could take more, I would. There's always tomorrow. Your time will come.'

'Where are they going?' I asked.

'Far from here. Lucky bastards. Some kind of farm. A safe place. They can only take in a couple of people at a time.' A boy explained.

My eye caught Teresa walking on the other side of a window. Thomas saw it too because he got up from the table and rushed over to the door. Two guards stood in front of it. Thomas couldn't get through. One man stopped Thomas and I saw them talking, or arguing, but after a while, Thomas walked back to us.

~

The whole day I had been hiding how I felt. I didn't even know how I felt... empty? Without Chuck, it was somehow so different. The one family member I had left.
All the fake smiles, laughs, and talks, it was getting annoying to do, but I didn't really have a choice. I couldn't just break down in front of everyone. Slowly tears formed in my eyes and it didn't take long for them to fall. Soon I was literally sobbing into my pillow, trying not to make much noise.

Suddenly I heard something under my bed. Still, with tears dripping down my cheeks, I sat there, kind of scared about what was under my bed. Some metal moved and I heard a few groans. Finally, someone crawled on the floor. With wide eyes, I looked at the person, but my gaze softened when I saw the familiar blond hair.

'Newt!' I whispered. Without hesitation, I got up and hugged him tightly for a long time.

'You okay?' Newt asked when I still didn't let go.

'Mhm.' But when I realized what was happening, I let go of Newt. 'What the hell are you doing here? They could see you!'

'I don't care. I'm not leaving you alone right now.' Newt protested as he sat down on my bed.

'I'll be fine.'

'No, you won't.' Newt corrected. 'You were crying two minutes ago.'

'I wasn't-.'
Newt raised his eyebrows.
'Okay, maybe I was.' I admitted. 'But you have to go, Newt. I love that you're here, but if they see you-.'

'They won't see me. I got through the vents.' Newt said as he lay down on my bed. 'Come on, love.' He opened his arms and I lay down too, just like we did in the Glade. 'Now tell me, why were you crying?'

'What do you think?' I mumbled.

'I think it was because you felt guilty about all the deaths.'

I shivered when Newt mentioned it. 'I was crying about Chuck, not because I felt guilty.'

'But you do feel guilty, don't you?' Newt questioned.

'You know me too well.' I let out a small, fake chuckle.

'Don't feel guilty, love. It's not your fault.' Newt lowered his voice.

'But what if I just jumped in front of-.'

'No.' Newt interrupted. 'No, no, no. Don't think like that, please. Don't ever say that again, Nora.'

I bit my lip and looked at the ground.

'Nora, it's not your fault. None of it.' Newt paused. 'Okay?'
Slowly I nodded.
'Now go to sleep.' He said.