Chapter 21 - Recognition

Bertha turned out to be a car. Somehow we managed to fit all of us in. Jorge was behind the wheel, Brenda next to him. Me, Thomas, Frypan, and Teresa had stuffed ourselves in the backseat and Newt, Minho, and Logan sat in the trunk.

Later I found out it might've not been the best idea to let those three boys sit together since Newt and Logan were already bickering, like they always did. I decided that I would have a good talk with both of them sometime before they fought again.

After a while, Jorge stopped driving the car. Other cars blocked our way and it didn't seem like anyone was driving them, so we were stuck.

'Well, I guess we're on foot.' Jorge said as he got out of the car. We did too.

Me and Newt walked over to a car. Slowly I trailed my hand over the broken front glass. It looked deserted like no one has been there in years.

Suddenly gunshots echoed through the mountains and I heard the bullets hitting the cars. Newt grabbed my waist and pulled me down, behind a car.

'Take cover!' Thomas screamed. The shots kept going for a few seconds, but then everything was silent.

'Hey, is everyone okay out there?' Thomas screamed from behind another car.

'We're fine.' Minho yelled, who sat next to me and Newt.

'Anyone know where those bloody shots came from?' Newt questioned, breathing heavily.

I heard a few talks coming from the car Thomas and Jorge were behind, but I couldn't make out what they were saying.
'Everybody! Get set to sprint back to the truck!'
Jorge screamed.
'And hold your ears!' He added.

I glanced at Newt and realized Jorge was going to throw a bomb.

'Ready? One... Two...'

'Drop it.' A feminine voice suddenly said. 'Now! I said drop it!' She raised her voice.
'On your feet. Let's go.'

Carefully we got up and I looked at the woman, or rather, girl who yelled it. A bandana covered half of her face, except for her eyes. Her dark brown hair was in multiple braids. She pointed a gun at us.

Another girl appeared. Her blonde hair was the exact same color as Newt's. She had the same bandana on her face and gun in her hands.

'Let's go! Move!' The dark-haired girl yelled again, moving the gun towards Thomas and Jorge. The other girl pointed her gun at us.

'Come on, let's go!'

'Don't be stupid! Move.'

Suddenly the dark-haired girl her eyes turned softer and her eyebrows furrowed.
'Aris?' She stammered, looking at the boy while pulling the bandana down.

'Oh, my God. Harriet?' Aris gasped and walked over to the girl, embracing her with a hug.

Confused I looked at the two. They knew each other, but from what? Who were those girls?

'My God.' The blonde girl pulled her bandana down too.
'What the hell are you doing here?'

A weird feeling formed in my stomach when I saw the blonde girl's face. Some kind of recognition, but I didn't understand what.

'Sonya.' Aris sighed and hugged the girl too.

'Aris, you're lucky we didn't shoot your dumb ass.' The dark-haired girl, Harriet, said.

'How...?' The others were just as confused as me.

'What's happening?' I frowned, especially focusing on the blonde girl. Something about her made me confused.

'We were in the maze together.' Aris explained. I had never seen the boy happier than he was when he saw the two girls.

'We're clear, guys! Come on out!' Harriet screamed. Her voice echoed through the mountains, followed by a whistle.

'Copy that! We're clear!' Some people appeared on top of a mountain. They had guns in their hands too and I guessed they were the ones that tried to shoot us.

'We're taking them to base.' Harriet told an older man, who walked over to us.

'Wait, so, how did you guys get here?' Aris asked, trying to understand what happened.

'The Right Arm got us out.'

'Wait.' Thomas his attention was immediately drawn to Harriet. 'The Right Arm? Do you know where they are?'

'Hop in.' Harriet motioned at Bertha.