Chapter 22 - The Right Arm

A/N: Sorry this is so short.

~

'They've been planning this for over a year now.' Harriet explained after we all got out of the car.
'This is all for us.'

With side eyes, I looked around. Dozens of tents of all sizes stood on the ground. People were sitting around fires, making or eating food. Some of them gave us glances.

'You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light.' Harriet explained as we walked further into the camp.
'Where's Vince?' Harriet asked someone.

'Somewhere over there, I think.' They answered, motioning at a tent.

'Who's Vince?' Thomas asked.

'He's the one who decides if you get to stay.' Harriet turned around.

'I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army.' Thomas questioned. It was always Thomas who was asking questions.

'Yeah, we were.' An unrecognizable voice said. I turned my head and saw a middle-aged man with a goatee walking over to us.
'This is all that's left of us. Lots of good people died getting us this far.'
I realized the man was Vince.
'Who are they?' He glanced at us.

'They're Immunes.' Harriet replied. 'Caught 'em coming up the mountain.'

'Did you check 'em?' Vince raised his eyebrows, inspecting every single one of us.

'I know this guy, Aris. I trust him.' Harriet motioned at Aris, who stood behind Thomas.

'Well, I don't. Check 'em.'

'Hey, boss...' Another man looked at Brenda, who was gagging. Frowning I looked at her. What was happening?

'Brenda! Brenda!' Jorge caught Brenda who suddenly fell onto the ground.

'What's going on?' I asked, looking at the two.

'Brenda, talk to me.' Jorge panicked. Brenda was coughing and making some weird noises.

'What's going on with her?' Vince raised his voice and looked at Brenda suspiciously.

'Brenda, are you all right?' Jorge ignored Vince and only cared about Brenda.

Vince bend down when he saw a bandage wrapped around Brenda's leg. He rolled up her trouser leg and gasped. A wound I immediately recognized was on her leg. A Crank had bitten her.

'What the hell? Shit!' A man screamed.

'Crank! We got a Crank!' Vince grabbed a gun out of his pocket.

'No!' We protested.

'No!'

'Wait, wait!'

'Step back!' Vince threatened, pointing the gun at Brenda and Jorge.

'Listen, okay?' Thomas looked at Vince. 'This just happened, okay? She's not dangerous yet.'

'You shouldn't have brought her here!'

'I know.'

'We let Cranks in here now, the safe haven doesn't last a week!' Vince tightened the grip on his gun.

'I understand. Just listen. Please.' Thomas said, trying to stay calm. I told her that you could help. Okay? There's got to be something you can do.'

'Yeah, there is.' Vince paused. 'I can put her out of her misery.'

'No!' Jorge screamed, trying to get to Brenda, but some men pulled him away.

'Vince, that's enough! Let him go.' A more feminine voice called out.

'She's infected, Doc. There's nothing we can do for her.'

'No, but he can.' A brown-haired woman looked at Thomas. 'Hello, Thomas.'

I frowned.
'What?' Thomas stammered. 'You know me?'

'Interesting. It makes sense they'd put you in the maze. Though I must admit... I was worried they'd kill you after what you did.'

'What I did?'

The first time we spoke, you said you couldn't take it anymore... watching your friends die, one by one.' The woman paused. 'The last time we spoke... you gave me the coordinates of every WICKED compound, trial, and lab. He was our source. We couldn't have pulled all this off without him. Take her to the tent.' The woman motioned at Brenda. 'Get these guys some warm clothes.'

I looked at Thomas who pulled Brenda up and walked over to the woman.
'Thomas, come on. I need to get some blood from you.' The woman glanced at our group until her eyes met mine.

'You come with us too, Nora.'