Chapter 12

"Honey, you let Rosie be there alone? You should have stayed

"Honey, you let Rosie be there alone? You should have stayed. Rhea said she will come over tomorrow, so you could have stayed the night at least—"

My mother has been following me around ever since I came back before evening from sending Rose Anne home. Her monologue was the same— Rose Anne might be in some kind of danger or whatever, which I know she's just exaggerating.

I sat on the sofa in the living room, where Jasmine is quietly watching an anime movie. I know she's going to stop because Jaz is here.

But I was wrong.

"You don't really love her," she muttered when I didn't respond. "She's alone, she didn't just say to you, but I know she wants you to stay." She looked at me reproachfully.

Now she's questioning my feelings for Rose Anne. She's always like this everytime she's given the chance.

I sighed and stared at the TV. "Mom, please just—"

"What? You want me to keep quiet? JK! I am a mother, okay? I know what is good for you and for Rose Anne. She's alone and she's sad—" she stood in front of me, "goodness knows what would happen if some—oh I don't even want to think about it! You should have stayed—"

"And then what? Let you have your way, Mom?" I said, all patience drained. "I know what you will do once I do what you want!"

Mom looked at me as if I had slapped her. Jasmine is now watching us.

I sighed. "She's fine. She's not a child."

Mom sniffed and turned her back on me, walking to the kitchen. "You could have at least stayed til dinner then!"

I shook my head and stood. Once I got upstairs, I saw Rose Anne’s door. I don’t know how long I have been standing in front of it, before Jasmine’s voice called out from downstairs.

“Mom said to bring these to Rose Anne,” she said when I looked down from the bannisters.

I checked my phone, it’s past 9pm. She must have eaten dinner.

“Where is she?” I asked. Jasmine is waiting for me in the kitchen. 

“She’s in her room, she’s really annoyed with you,” Jasmine handed me the lunch bag.

There are three tupperwares of food inside. “She could have given this to us before we leave this afternoon,” I said.

“She told me she didn’t expect you will be back soon,” Jasmine smirked. “You know Mom, she’ll really do anything just to push you and Rose Anne.”

I didn’t react. My sister is right. Even a kid can see through our mother’s motives.

Jasmine went back to what she’s watching. I can hear the anime theme song in the background.

Even if it’s past dinner time, I know Rose Anne is not yet sleeping. I should bring these to her so she can have food tomorrow morning.

I checked my phone and saw that she sent me a message.