Chapter 5

"So you two still—" Sue grimaced at me, "—don't have a label?"

I drained my glass and sighed. I'm here at Books & Us, where Sue parts time after school. It's almost 8pm, and I had two coffees since this afternoon. Talk about who's not sleeping tonight.

Sue put down the glass she's been drying and tapped my arm, "El, tell me honestly, do you like Jim?"

"Of course, why would I hang out with him if I don't?" I checked the menu. If I have another coffee, would it be the death of me?

"Enough caffeine," Sue said before I can open my mouth, "and you perfectly know that the 'like' I'm talking about is not 'like as a person' but 'like as a man'."

I sighed again. "Well—I kind of..."

Do I like Inocencio?

Maybe not like the way Roseanne likes JK. Certainly not. But...

"He's important to me."

Sue slapped her forehead. "Jeez, El! You know Jim likes you right? That he has feelings for you? I've been saying this since a long time ago. What if he stops liking you?"

I frowned. "When did you say it?"

"Doesn't matter. What matters is that you keep on hurting him," Sue picked the glass and rug again.

"'Cause he's so sensitive! Why does he have to act pathetically when I was just having a conversation with my seniors? Add the fact that I'm with Rosie!" Yeah, Inocencio is so childish!

"He's jealous. You know that," Sue muttered. She picked up a cup to wipe next.

I looked at her with narrowed eyes, "Wait, why are you siding with that guy? I'm your bff here!"

Sue snorted, "Yes, you are my bff that's why I'm telling you all these. Because I don't want you to be hurt. If you have feelings for Jim, acknowledge it. Don't do things that will make him lose interest in you. And..." She held my hand, "don't be afraid to admit that you like him the way he likes you."