Chapter 19

I placed the two books on the counter of Books&Us

I placed the two books on the counter of Books&Us. Usually, it's Sue who works at the counter every Friday evening. But today, she's nowhere to be found.

"Here's your card," the lady said handing back my membership card.

"Is Sue off today?" I asked casually.

She gave me a smile and cleared her throat. "She's not coming today. She took double shifts last week. Why?"

"Ah, nothing," I smiled and went out.

"Hey wait," she called.

I turn back to her. She has this smile which looks like she's about to spill a big secret.

"Are you and Suey dating?"

I almost raised my brows, "No."

"But you like her?" She laughed, "I mean... You practically spend almost every evening here, and now you're going because she's off?"

I cleared my throat and laughed softly, "Yeah, I like her."

Her eyes widened, but then she continued smiling, "Really?"

Why is this lady asking me such questions?

"Yeah, 'cause she's my friend. I don't hang out with people I hate. And besides, this café is great study place," I said. Then I pointed outside at the Japanese restaurant, "It's near my favorite food also."

Her smile faltered. I stepped one forward, "Please refrain from asking such questions again. It's uncomfortable."

"S-Sorry," she muttered then raised a hand in a kind of greeting.

Wait. Is someone behind me?

I confirmed it when she gave me a look that says I've messed up and went away to tend to other customers. Then, someone tapped my shoulder.

"Hello," Sue's voice came from behind me.

I turned to look at her. She's smiling as if she's suppressing her laughter.

"I—I didn't know you were there..."

Sht. I did a quick review of what I told the lady. I didn't say anything wrong, did I?

Sue pointed at the Japanese restaurant, "Wanna eat some chicken?"

"Ha?" I asked, suddenly conscious of my whole being.

She laughed and went out first. I followed her inside the restaurant, and just waited as she ordered 8-pc spicy fried chicken.

"I want fire level," she told the guy who took the order.  Then she turned to me, "Come on."

We sat at the farthest table, one which is almost secluded from the rest of the other customers.

"That's a good thing to say," she muttered after a while.