Chapter 19

I was growing more and more suspicious of Sadie's happiness.

It was so... radiant, this beautiful aura that surrounded her, shown magnificently in each one of her buoyant steps. It was as if she was a whole new person. Before, she was not a sad person, but her attitude seemed different now. She was more thoughtful, more caring. Nothing I had ever seen with Sadie before, and I truly thought I had seen it all, had amounted to this.

This complete and total dreaminess that accompanied her wherever she went.

I could tell Jared was affected by her, her joy, her face always void of the tiniest speck of sadness. His face would brighten whenever she got closer. He would always engage her in the situation, distracting her from her happy daydreams. Sadie was unconsciously enchanting him, weaving a web around him without even trying. Jared was well and truly in love with my sister. I didn't really get it, at first.

However, during these days, I eventually grew to realize why Jared liked Sadie so much.

She, in her elation, was absolutely beautiful. She talked invigoratingly, full of energy and laughter, her giggle like the melody of the morning birds. Her blonde hair sparkled always in the bright sunlight, teeth gleaming as she opened her mouth yet again. Her liveliness was contagious, passing on to us as quickly as it came onto her. This was something new.

I couldn't understand it.

She had suddenly become as undecipherable as a baby's cries. I didn't know what she was really thinking, no matter how deeply I observed. I couldn't predict what she was going to do next. This was strange, and oddly, frightening

I only had one question on my mind at that time.

Why?

I lumbered to my locker, hurriedly swirling the dial to the correct numbers. The bell had just ringed, and we were all let out from school. The chattering of all the people was horrendous, overwhelmingly noisy. I sighed quietly. Why couldn't kids my age keep their voices at a normal level instead of screaming? It grew to be kind of old. 

There was a loud, annoying click as the locker swung backwards, my stuff tumbling out of it, papers flying like little birds in the sway of the gentle wind. My eyes grew wide, immediately racing to catch the papers. The papers I wanted to return to Jared. I dodged over and under people, ignoring their annoyance at my pushiness.

I snatched up a handful of papers, holding them carefully, shuffling them into a thin pile. Jared's neat, admirable handwriting filled the pages, the size of his letters so small even I could barely read it.

I paused, my form coming to an abrupt halt as I finally made out what the minuscule letters were trying to communicate. I discovered their meaning, quickly, my eyes growing wide.

The wind bit at me as I trekked upstream through the wave of angry fish heading in the opposite direction. My heart pounding, I forced through the crazy crowd of people and headed towards the backpack I had left. 

A beautiful guy appeared in front of me, suddenly, a Greek god in human form. His eyes were a swirly chocolate, his face as sculpted and perfect as could be. His lips were scrumptious, stretched into a smile, his pearly white teeth gleaming. With a body that was also as handsome as his face, he sure was a catch.

This was my Peter.

He carried my backpack in his strong hand, the crowd parting as he walked though. He towered over me, a giant, almost, but still managing to keep that devastatingly tempting allure. His smile grew wider.

"Hey Eve," his eyes crinkled a little in happiness, "I have your book bag."

He had been like this all day today. Ever since I said I would go the amusement park with him, he had been crazy with excitement and devotion. Shown clearly in his puppy-like attitude and frequent glances, I was almost caught... off guard by this change in behavior. It was like a burden had been lifted off his shoulders, like he was the happiest man in the world.