Chapter 8

I walked out along the beach, the sand tickling my toes, the wind brushing through my long, flaxen hair. The ocean, an oasis of blue, seemed to calm me, my nervous spirit quelling as the sea spray danced around my nose. I looked down, to discover that I was wearing a long, clingy dress, pure white in color, with a necklace made of the finest seashells.

A man walked up to me, wearing shorts and a loose white t-shirt. He had beautiful green eyes the color of a blade of grass, and a perfectly clear complexion without a single freckle in sight. He had a carefully combed mop of hair, ruby red, that suited the bright green of his eyes. He had the slightest hint of a smile gracing his flawless face, his eyes focused on me, never wavering.

He walked to me, grabbing my hand, pulling me close. We stood together, my dress waving in the breeze, his shirt rippling in the wind. We never said a word, just started walking next to the ocean, the little crystals rising up in small puffs around our feet. I grasped his hand, the warmness a pleasure, his hand engulfing mine.

We suddenly stopped, the man coming to a halt. He turned to me, his eyes urgent, his lips pressed together in longing. He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me close, my eyes alight with excitement. We inched closer and closer, until we were inches apart. He reached to close the distance...

I jerked up from my bed, my alarm clock beeping, furiously pressing the snooze button. Just a few more minutes... I was having the most wonderful dream. I angrily banged the alarm clock, wanting to turn back the time, to experience that pure bliss once more.

Finally, after a bit of tossing and turning, waiting for the dream to return, I wearily got up, slipping downstairs, sleepily walking towards the refrigerator for a drink.  

It was then that I knocked into a huge, hairy arm.

"Wah?" I shakily asked, still not focused, hanging onto the arm like it was my last hope for survival. Everything was a little dizzy, and I felt the world rock beneath my feet.

"Eve?" A deep voice alerted me, and I stood straight up, suddenly remembering who this arm belonged to.

Dex.

The most popular guy in America.

"Oh, I'm sorr.," I backed away, turning beet red from embarrassment. Dex raised his perfectly sculpted eyebrows in confusion. 

"It's 4' O clock," he informed me gently. "You need to be sleeping."

He obviously thought I was sleepwalking. "Dex, I get to decide when I wake up and fall asleep." 

"You're not sleepwalking?" he asked, eyes widened.

"No," I walked past him, grabbing a bottle of Gatorade. I gulped it down, barely stopping for breath, as Dex watched, amazed.

I placed the now-empty bottle of Gatorade in the trash, and headed towards the door, being careful to not step on any loose floorboards. Dex looked at me, puzzlement etched across his face.

"You know, you're different from any girl I've ever met." 

"I definitely know that." I assured him, stepping outside to greet the dark beauty of the world around me.

The sky, a deep black, twinkled with stars, their light illuminating on my form. The moon, a silver crescent, dwelt among them, the brightest of them all. The grass, now a dark, forbidding green, covered the area, the wind violently blowing. My hair flew back, the force of the wind nearly overwhelming me. A nearby rabbit rushed into its hole, waiting for the storm that would soon come.