Chapter 22

I immersed myself in him.

Delving myself into his soft embrace, I reveled in the feel of his sweet lips as they danced across mine. His shirt, silky and warm, brushed against me as I got closer to him, not even a hairsbreadth apart. We were one, two beings melded together until even we didn't know when I ended and he started. It was so amazing, this incredible bliss that tickled my skin and sent me into pure elation.

He reached to my waist, pulling me even closer, I wrapping my arms around his neck in return. This wonderful feeling immediately enlightened me, letting me know exactly who the enchanting mystery man was. 

I finally broke the kiss, leaning back slowly. I let my fingers reach towards his glorious red hair, brushing it back out of his eyes. Somehow, my gaze got lost in them, those emeralds that were brighter than any jewel. He always did that to me, mesmerizing me, arresting my glance with his two green handcuffs. 

"Dex?" I asked, though I already knew the answer.

"Of course," he smiled, his sparkling white teeth shining. His cologne, a scent that I could not exactly distinguish, was a delightful aroma that intoxicated my senses. I didn't realize that I had missed it until I smelt it once more, experiencing its enchanting flavors.

"You're... back!" I happily exclaimed, squeezing in even closer to him, shutting my eyes, immersing myself in this joy I was experiencing. It was enchanting, those few meager seconds.

However, there was something strange around me, interrupting my happiness. I could feel it, the distraction, and suddenly I couldn't stay in Dex's embrace any longer.

What was it?

As I was brought slowly to full awareness, I suddenly gasped as Peter came into focus, sprawled on the dirty grass. His body was slumped against the crisp stained blades, his arms by his side. Pieces of his hair was lying in his face, blocking my view of his slightly bruised cheek. He looked pitiful, his eyes worn and tired, his face likewise. I broke away from Dex's arms, though unwillingly, and ran to Peter's side. He seemed so desperate, with a small gash in his leg, blood running in little droplets from when he scraped his calve against a pointy piece of bark. No matter how stupid he just acted, no matter how scary he had been, I wasn't going to leave him like this.

I kneeled down by his prostrate form, slipping my arm under his and holding it tight. With my other arm, I grabbed a packet of Kleenex, holding it over the wound so the flow would cease. 

When I was this close to Peter, even when he was unconscious, I always marveled at the perfection in his face. He had a clear complexion, tanned and chiseled, his jawbone strong and masculine. His eyes, a rich chestnut, sucked me into its depth, awakening flutters inside my chest. His lips were so soft-looking, sweetness emanating from them, signaling the intoxication contact would bring. None of that innocence was in his earlier kiss, only his beer tinged breath, and his unfocused eyes.

Why, Peter, did you have to be an alcoholic? 

Honestly, I considered myself to be a little bit selfish. I never thought about Peter in all of my troubles. I never knew how much he had suffered. How did I think that he was perfectly fine through all this? That he wasn't hurt at all?

I could have helped him. Maybe, if we went back five years, I could have said yes to his proposal, becoming his girlfriend, having a great life. He probably wouldn't have gotten drunk then, being really happy. 

If only Dex wasn't the man I loved with all my heart...

I glanced up at him, at his dubious expression, and frowned. "What?" I asked bitterly.