Chapter 20

I weaved through the crowd, my red hair shining in the streetlights. My breathing was rushed, frenzied, as I hurried to the restaurant in front of me. I was late, and Serena HATED it if I was late.

The wind whipped across my cheek as I ascended the marvelous steps leading up to a magnificent building. The steps were pure marble, the building just as glossy. However, the outside was more of a white, while the steps were creamy. Windows, wide and stretching from the eastern side to the southern side, illuminated the beautiful, outrageously rich restaurant. A beautiful scene, of the ocean I loved so incredibly much, was displayed. 

Swinging the pure gold door handle open, I stepped through the doorway. A hostess, with brown puppy dog eyes and blonde hair, smiled at my entrance. People chattered about at their tables, soft jazz music playing over it all. Fish in huge aquariums meandered around the coral, the attractions the aquariums offered. The walls were as light as the white exterior, the tables a silver that complemented it greatly. 

I flashed her my movie star smile, and she melted like butter all over her podium. Even though these sorts of restaurants had celebrities every day, it was only occasionally that they would have such a high class rock star like me. I was like the "pinnacle" of VIPs, if you get what I mean.

"Hello," she greeted me, her smile sweet and innocent, full of caring. I could tell she was nervous at my presence.

"Hey," I replied, my voice playing with her emotions, encouraging her crush. I could tell she liked me, and I didn't want to ruin her dreams just yet. "I believe my-" I quickly coughed into my elbow, "friend is here already. The table would be under Dex...?"

"I heard that," Serena stepped up next to me, her voice flowing as sweet and smooth as molasses. She narrowed her eyes at me, then turned her deadly attention onto the hostess. "I'm sorry," she purred, turning on her charm, "he just is too shy to say that I'm his girlfriend," She grabbed my arm, encircling her own waist with it forcefully.

"Oh," the hostess was visibly disappointed, her cheeks flushing. With a forced smile, she led us back over to a table, one that was close to the sea, the beautiful, wonderful sea.

Seagulls darted over the water, skimming it, snatching up the little delicacies it loved. I watched them, free in flight, as they plunged into the water, then reemerged with their prize. It was wonderful, watching them try and try again until they succeeded.

I could feel Serena's hawk-like eyes examine me as I watched the fish squirm in the seagulls' grasp, measuring me quietly. She was absolutely gorgeous tonight, with a pink dress that flowed to her toes tying at the waist. It was a little tight, but gave her an innocent look. Her brown hair was curled, twisted into an elaborate up-do, a single strand of hair falling into her face. Her light brown skin was without a pimple, without a mar of any kind. Her face was wearing a beautiful smile with pouty lips. The hostess must have thought we were a cute couple.

But beauty can be deceptive.

"What are you doing?" she asked harshly as I watched the majestic birds shove the miserable fish into their beaks, sealing their fate forever. The sky was filled with puffy white clouds, the sun winking through the blanket of thin marshmallows. Free fish, fish that were stupid enough to be within ten feet of a seagull, jumped out of their confinement, soaring for a few seconds, then tumbling back down into the depths of the ocean.

How I wished, just then, to be like the fish, their scales rippling in the light, their discretion displayed for all to enjoy. Why couldn't I have that freedom? What did I do to deserve these chains?

"I'm... watching," I said hesitantly, my voice masking the desperate longing I was experiencing inside. Serena smiled, her perfect teeth winking in the bright lights. I could tell she was falsely grinning, instead ready to rip out my gut with her shark teeth. I felt a nervous tremor inside.