fourteen

"here you go.", Sam said, placing down the stack of pillows next to Anika who smiled.

Abby got up from her seat and helped Kyla bring the desserts into the kitchen where Chad, Tara and Mindy were. "Sam, we do not have to stay here.", Mindy told the older girl.

"well, too bad. i insist.", Sam replied, taking a bottle of wine from the top of the fridge. "safety in numbers."

"this'll be so fun, a little slumber party with the core four– plus Abby and Kyla."

"core four?", Sam repeated in confusion. Chad nodded. Tara asked, "did you just give us a nickname?" "i sure did."

"okay, but that's kinda leaving out Bee and Kai.", Mindy told her brother

Kyla snickered, "i think i prefer core four plus Abby and Kyla rather than sexy six."

"i like sexy six.", Mindy agreed with Kyla, making the others hold back a laugh.

"i mean, we've been through a lot together. and a nickname would be pretty cool.", Chad said.

"that's debatable.", Sam told him and Tara joined in her sister's remark, "it's extremely debatable."
"you can't just give yourself a nickname, dingus.", Mindy told her twin. Chad argued jokingly, "of course i can, dingus. i just did.", Chad told Mindy. he brought up his hand as he shouted, "core four up top!"

"no.", Mindy said plainly.

Chad turned to Tara who shook her head, "get that away from me." "please, for the love of God.", Chad desperately to Sam who laughed. Mindy shook her head with a grin, "don't do it!" Kyla and Abby laughed, watching their childish actions.

"you know, i would actually like a little more respect from my fellow members of the core four–"

"–plus us.", Kyla added jokingly which Chad pointed at her as an acknowledgement. suddenly, their conversation was interrupted by Anika calling from the living room. "guys! what the hell?" the television volume was turned up so the news reporter could be heard by everyone in the room.

"i'm gonna go check on Ethan. he's taking really long.", Kyla told Abby, walking towards Abby's room. the blonde girl watched the door close, her heart inside her chest pounding.

"we're hearing from sources inside the homicide division that the prime suspect is none other than Samantha Carpenter – one of the survivors of the Woodsboro killings of 2022 – seen here attacking a woman on the street last night."

on screen, the video of Sam fighting that group of girls played on scream, the curse words spoken getting bleeped out.

"in the wake of the Woodsboro tragedy last year, rumors sprouted online that Carpenter was actually responsible for the killings; blaming the crimes on her boyfriend, Richie Kirsch, and teen, Amber Freeman."
Sam grabbed the remote from Anika and shut off the tv before could hear more of the bullshit the media had to say.