CHAPTER 10

Mexico, Las Almas

Wow, guys, we haven't talked for two weeks! How are you? I know you missed me. Probably not. You must hate me too, after what I did a month ago. It is okay; I don't mind if you do. I got used to it after all.

I hurt someone you all care about. Someone I also care about I didn't want to do it. But I had to. As much as it broke everything inside me to be able to pull the stupid trigger. And when I saw his face—this face that I spent so many hours looking at—it broke when he realized what I had done to him. It broke my heart. I tried everything to not show anyone how much it affected me. I did try. And I did it. I showed how heartless a person I am.

It took us hours to leave Greece and go somewhere safe. We went to Bulgaria and, a few hours later, to Russia, and we stayed there for a few days. But we left. I hated it there. It reminded me of what happened years ago. It also reminded me how much fun I had before I came to this place with the Task Force. Soap and I quickly became friends and hit it off like we had known each other for ages. And with Gaz, he was so sweet to me. He made me hot chocolate whenever he could. Ghost was distant back then, but he came around.

You can hate me as much as you want, but I promise you, you can't hate me as much as I hate myself right now. I am a bad person, and I know it. But I have a job to do. And I never put my feelings over my job. So I have to finish this. And when it's over, I can go and cry my eyes out as much as I want.

But right now, we stay focused. I can't get emotional again. Valeria didn't like that very much. We didn't talk about it again. I knew we wouldn't. That's how it always goes. I got used to it, though, after a few months. Valeria is now working. And with working, I mean she makes deals to sell her drugs wherever this dealer is.

I decided to go out. I have done that often in the last couple of days. I enjoy the beauty of Las Almas. I try to be careful too. We don't want Los Vaqueros to know that we are here, so I wear a mask to cover most of my face. It also has a skull. It reminds me of Simon; he has one like that. He wears it when he is at my house. Covering his mouth and nose. So I look like him right now, almost.

I wore a blue T-shirt and wide blue jeans. My hair was up in a high ponytail. I also had my handgun in my holster on my thigh. The outfit is not something special. But why not? I should let you know. Camila was with me. Valeria says that someone must be with me at all times. I don't know how to protect myself if I have to. When I am inside, she wants me to be with her almost all the time, and when I go out to take someone with me, I don't want to argue with her, so I just do it. I love that she wants to protect me, but it becomes annoying.

"Why are you wearing the mask? We are not in the city yet." Camila interrupted my thoughts.

"I know. I just forgot about it. It's not like anyone knows we are here." I said that and pulled it down.

"It reminds me of that skull-face man from the Task Force."

I turned to my right and looked at her. "Yeah. Ghost would fit perfectly here with that mask of his."

"Do you ever regret what you did? I know you worked with them. She asked, looking at me.

What I say next is important. I can't make any mistakes. "I feel bad. But regret? No. I don't regret what I did." I do regret what I did. That's the truth, but I can't do anything to change it now or ever. Choices have consequences.

"You did the right thing." Of course, this is what you think. "Valeria thought you wouldn't be able to do it."

I stopped walking. "Did she tell you that?"

"She said that to all of us. She also made a plan in case you backed out."

/~/