kaz has a plan

kaz didn't understand why no one could arrive at the correct time. the only person who came at exactly 7 o'clock was matthias, aka the only person who truly hated his guts. it was kind of ironic, but also quite enraging.

nina and inej arrived as a pair at five after seven. he could see them chatting, laughing, and having a grand time before entering the building and dropping to something a little more serious. kaz would be lying if he said that his annoyance towards the two was somewhat fuelled by slight jealousy. the two girls got on so well and though he convinced himself his strong emotion was fueled by their lack of professionalism and it's ability to foil his plan, he knew deep down that that was not the case - though those thoughts were for another day.

wylan and jesper were the last to arrive, and kaz was sure that it was just for dramatic effect. of course the clear reasoning was practically served on a platter right in front of him, but he didn't want to believe it. jesper was just a dramatic person and most likely dallied before leaving the house. it had nothing to do with how each step taken looked as if he had pins stabbing into his feet or how pale his skin was in contrast to the dark circles that laid under his eyes.

there was an audible gasp from nina when the two guys entered, though his pointed look discouraged her from any more comment. truthfully he knew that everyone was worried about jesper, but he also knew that there wasn't any time for that. they could worry once they had their money.

"let's get started."

kaz took one final glance at the group before pulling out a stack of paper and throwing it down.

each of the six were seated around a round table - a table meant for gambling. they sat on stools and all had different expressions, each as intense as the last.

all of inej's focus was on the paper and her brows were furrowed in concentration, however he could still see the pain shadowing her features. he had to pull his eyes away from her before his stare became obvious.

nina looked rather nonchalant, but every so often her eyes would flicker to the others and stall on matthias. matthias, on the other hand, was staring at the table with such intensity kaz thought he was trying to set the thing on fire with his mind and make his escape.

wylan had a strange demeanour that was a mix between confidence and anxiety. he was chewing on his bottom lip and would occasionally switch that habit to his thumb, but his posture was straight. he looked the same as he did the day previous when they were standing in the rain. he didn't waste more than a second staring at the boy.

jesper was seated right beside wylan, and with grim thought kaz realized how hard it was to keep his stare on the teen. jesper was visibly exhausted and looked about as sick as a dog, though a slight smile pulled at his lips. he was clearly excited to get back to what he did best, but he didn't actually look ready to do so. if kaz had to guess he'd say that jesper was hopped up on painkillers and wouldn't be extremely connected to reality.

with a loud clear of his throat kaz slid a paper to each of the five, then took the last for himself. he then began to speak.

"we're taking down the school board."

the sound of nina's laughter came quick, but as soon as it started it stopped. her voice was full of disbelief.

"you're not serious. you can't...kaz, you can't take down a school board. i mean- yeah, i'm sure you can, but saints. why would you want to?"

"school is a patriarchal system meant to enslave students to the confines of society."

inej's voice cut through the room before nina could retaliate.