Retrograde | Chapter 14 (Part 1)

Author's note:

Whoo-weee! Well, that was a very intense eight-week gap between chapters. Work, unfortunately, took a lot out of me, so I'm very sorry for the delay.

In order not to keep you waiting any longer, I've decided to drop this chapter in parts. I hope you don't mind.

DISCLAIMER: For all the medical professionals in the room. I humbly ask you to gloss over all the hospital stuff and chalk my lameness up to "poetic license". This chapter might hurt your scientific souls, so please accept my deepest condolences.

Hoping you're all well, and healthy. Come find me on Twitter at @dizigirl1, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on our babies' progress.

Lots of love and gratitude for your support,
Ames

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Previously on Retrograde:

Oh, how she's missed him. 

His face is tanned. He looks older - more rugged, but he remains the most handsome man she's ever seen, and her heart lurches in her chest. 

The pain is unspeakable.

Without consideration for who might be watching, Eda buries her fingers into his hair and remembers all the times she woke to his head on her chest. This can't be it. It just CAN'T be.

As she greedily drinks him in, gently stroking his messy strands, Eda lovingly whispers...

"Serkan, baby. It's not your time. You need to fight. You have to fight."

⭐️⭐️⭐️

Twelve hours after Serkan's operation, Eda hovers outside the door of his private room in the ICU. Tucked behind the nurse's station wall, it's deliberately shielded from the rest of the noisy ICU and kept dark for those who need maximum rest. After all, light is of no use to someone in a coma. 

Her shift ended many, many hours ago. Still, Eda seems to be finding any excuse to stay, lamely rationalizing that she is simply concerned for him like any other patient and dismissing the truth that wants to bubble to the surface furiously.

Her phone vibrates, and she quickly pulls it out. Carson. Shit. It's the third time he's tried her in as many hours. Her stomach sinks, and she rejects the call, burying the phone back in her pocket. She can't deal with this today. Not with so little sleep, and well...him...being mere feet from her for the first time in five years.

A passing nurse greets her, and Eda returns an awkward smile, quickly pretending to be looking for medical supplies, stuffing unnecessary tubes and syringes into her lab coat pockets. She releases an agitated breath - pressing a palm against her forehead and waiting to be left alone once more. 

As soon as the nurse rounds the corner, Eda's eyes slowly return to her soulmate, and she slumps against the door frame - the metal cool against her temple. 

Her focus flicks between his battered body and the vital machinery keeping him alive. He's a mess - barely held together by her sutures and steel rods, still unable to breathe on his own. Savage bruises and traces of blood mar his tanned skin.

She tracks the irregular rhythm of his bright green heartbeat racing across the monitor with a frown, suddenly struck by the sharp pain in her chest and the realization that - in this moment - both their hearts are on life support.

Go! Stay away from him! Her brain demands, but her traitorous eyes devour his body - making up for five years of missed moments - silently fascinated by how Serkan's current exterior damage mirrors her inner destruction.