Chapter 5

The following day, rather than go and ride Cannibal like she usually would, Rhaellanne was instructed to follow Ser Roderick from her room straight to an emergency small council meeting which had been called by Otto early that morning

When she arrived, she found Rhaenyra and her father and his council members waiting there

"Why was I called?" she asked as she stood beside the table, close to her Great Uncle Corlys since she did not want to be close to the cunt Otto Hightower

"As princess of dragons, we thought it best that you hear this," Lord Corlys explained and gestured to Grand Maester Mellos

The man held up a scroll to them. "Daemon." He sighed and Rhaellanne cast her elder twin a look, to find Rhaenyra was looking at her too "The Prince left a missive, which I believe might explain." He unrolled the parchment and began to speak: "'It is the pleasure of Daemon Targaryen, the Prince of Dragonstone and rightful heir to the Iron Throne, to announce that he is to take a second wife in the tradition of Old Valyria. She is to assume the title Lady Mysaria of Dragonstone. Her Grace is with child and is to have a dragon's egg placed in the babe's cradle in the custom of House Targaryen.' The Prince has invited you to his wedding, Your Grace. It is in two days' time."

Rhaellane felt like she had been punched in the gut by that. Not only had Daemon abandoned her at court, but now he had stolen an egg from the dragon pit and intended to marry another woman, a whore at that. She knew Daemon would not have been allowed to marry her, but some part of her deep down had wished that perhaps he cared about her enough to. It seemed not though.

"Gods be good," sighed King Viserys

"Who is Lady Mysaria?" asked Ser Lyonel Strong

"We believe-"

"-Daemon's whore." answered Rhaellanne evenly, keeping her anger out of her voice. She knew that no one would question how she knew it since her and Daemon's close bond was widely known, but she still feared that her father may be upset at just how close she was to him

"This is nothing less than sedition." said Otto, after casting Rhaellanne a confused glance

Ser Strong nodded "I strongly agree, sire."

At the head of the table, the King hissed. "My brother wishes to provoke me. To answer is to give him what he wants."

Lord Corlys added, "The realm is watching, Your Grace."

"What would you have me do?" asked Viserys sarcastically "Send him to the Wall? Perhaps I could put his head on a spike."

The Hand shrugged lightly, making Rhaellanne roll her eyes. He never liked Daemon, and vice versa, but to ask for the death of the King's brother was too far. Otto, however, disagreed. "Daemon has seized Dragonstone, has surrounded himself with an army of gold cloaks, and has now stolen a dangerous weapon-"

"-Skore drōmon gōntan daemon gūrogon? [Which egg did Daemon take?]" Rhaellanne interrupted, fists clenched at her sides

Inside, her blood was boiling with rage. Daemon knew how seriously she took her role as dragon princess, and she protected the dragons fearlessly, and ever since she was babe she thought that he was the one who understood just how close she felt to them. But to do this was an ultimate betrayal.

Her father, and one of the dragon masters in the room, shared a glance, and then after a deep breath, Viserys said. "Īles mēre hen dreamfyre's drōma. Keskydoso bona ao iderēptan syt dārilaros baelon [It was one of Dreamfyre's eggs. The same that you chose for Prince Baelon]" Everyone cast their eyes towards the two princesses, and to no one's shock, Rhaellanne's face was full of fury. Before his daughter could explode, or do, or say anything reckless, Viserys added "Assemble a detachment, Otto. I will go to Dragonstone and drag Daemon back to face justice myself."