Chapter 31

Rhaenyra could not face her own son in her grief, and had hidden herself away in her chambers, leaving Rhaellanne and Daemon alone on the front steps of the castle, waiting for Jacaerys and Baelor to appear.

Baelor, Jace, and Luke had been brothers in every sense of the word, and had been as thick as thieves since the day Rhaenyra's family moved to Dragonstone, so for one of them to be gone was going to be the hardest thing they ever experienced.

Two weeks ago ravens had been sent to both the Eyrie and Winterfell to inform Jeyne Arryn and Lord Stark of the news of Lucerys's death. Rhaellanne just prayed that her son had read it as well, so that she would be spared the news herself.

Beside her, Daemon, was clearly feeling the same as her. They didn't need to say it out loud because the pain of Luke's death was still fresh in both of their hearts, but they both knew exactly how afraid the other person was feeling.

When the sound of their boys's voices could be heard coming from outside the gates, Rhaellanne felt like she could be physically sick. She would never be ready for this conversation and just hoped that her husband could be there for her.

However, there was no running from this now. So wordlessly, Daemon slipped his hand into his wife's and squeezed, both hoping that this pain would be over soon. Lucerys's had died two weeks ago and today may be the most painful day since.

The guards opened the gates, and through them strolled Jace and Baelor, both wearing matching expressions of horror and desperation, and Rhaellane fought to keep her tears down.

She stepped down from the bottom step to the castle and opened her arms wide to her son.

"Muña!" Baelor cried and ran towards her. He was 16, yet he loved his mother as much as he had since the day he was born.

He had jumped on Silverwing as soon as he learned the news of Luke's death, praying for every moment of his journey that the news would turn out to be a lie, but seeing his mother again made his fear come to life, overwhelming him.

Rhaellanne squeezed him tightly to her and tried to force down her tears, just focusing on the joy and relief she felt to have him back.

When she had hugged him long enough, Rhaellanne let go and went to hug her nephew too, noticing how much longer and curlier his dark hair had become. The resemblance to Harwin Strong was honestly uncanny.

"Is it true?" he whispered to her neck, his voice breaking

Rhaellanne nodded sadly. "I'm sorry" she said softly. "I'm so sorry"

His body shook as he cried, and Rhaellanne glanced over at her son, who had let go of his father and she extended her arm to him, and Baelor hurried over, hugging his brother and mother at the same time.

Rhaellanne kept her boys close, relieved to know that they were home and safe, and she would never let them be harmed.

Daemon gently pried Jacaerys away from Rhaellanne. "I shall walk you to Rhaenyra" he said "She is expecting you"

Nodding numbly, Jacaerys followed his uncle inside, and Rhaellanne wrapped her arm around her own son, guiding him inside the castle. Many staff and knights gave the prince sympathetic looks as he walked up the stairs, but nobody dared to approach him at the moment.

As soon as the door to his bedroom closed behind them, Rhaellanne took a deep breath and turned to her son. Her heart was hammering in her chest, and she could feel her throat already closing up with fear and nerves.

Baelor dropped his cloak and bag before throwing open the doors to the balcony, letting the fresh air soothe the ache in his throat.

"How?" he croaked "Lady Jayne Arryn never said. She told me that my... my brother was dead and that I needed to come home"