Chapter 26

The approaching dreaded dinner was making every member of the Targaryen family nervous, both Green and Black. Rhaellanne had occupied her stress by helping the children get ready and in true form she had the seven of them attending dressed in red and black clothing to make a statement.

She was nervous to leave Eleana, Vaelon, Joff, Aelyria, Rhaegar, Aegon, and Viserys alone since she never knew what could happen, but Daemon had eventually forced her to leave the children in their rooms and dragged her downstairs to the King's private dining room.

In the hallway Jace, Luke, Baelor, Lyanna, Baela, Rhaena, Rhaenyra, and Bennard were all waiting for them to enter so they could present a united front, and when all of them gathered together they finally opened the doors to the room

Inside already awaited Alicent, Otto, Heleana, Aegon, and Aemond and they were all sitting at one end of the table so the Black group took up the remaining seats at the other end. 

Rhaenyra left one seat between herself and Alicent, and on her other side sat Bennard, Rhaellanne and Daemon, who was sitting at one end. Across from them sat Lyanna, Rhaena, Baela, Baelor, Luke, Jace, and Heleana. Then at the other end was Otto, and between him and Alicent were Aegon and Aemond. 

The staff began to hurry around pouring out drinks and serving food to the family, but no one was really touching any of it because of how nervous they all were.

Jace and Luke refused to sit down for as long as possible to avoid their cousins and spent all of their time at the other end talking with Daemon

However, when the door opened once more and King Viserys was in the doorway, they all hurried back to their places and stood there. The King was sitting on a chair though and was being lifted in by four of his men.

The guards carried him into the empty space between Alicent and Rhaenyra, and the group retook their seats.

Viserys cleared his coarse throat and roughly spoke, "Family dinner. How good it is...to see you all tonight...together."

Alicent quietly asked him, "Prayer before we begin?"

He nodded, "Yes."

Rhaellanne and Daemon shared an amused glance and Alicent began to speak, "May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

Clearly she was trying to jab at Daemon, but the man only grinned, and Viserys ignored it. "This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Baelor and Luke, will marry their cousins, Rhaena and Baela, further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes...and their betrothed."

Reluctantly the Greens raised their goblets too, and Bennard proudly said, "Hear, hear!"

They all drank, and then finally people began to tuck into the food before them. Aegon decided to keep stirring the pot though and leaned across the table to hiss to his cousin, "Well done, Baelor. You'll finally get to lie with a woman."

Luckily, the young man didn't reply and continued to drink. Viserys wasn't done though and spoke up again, saying, "Let us toast as well Prince Lucerys...the future Lord of the Tides."

Luke beamed proudly, and received tight, unhappy smiles from the other end of the table, but Jace's grin was enough to make him feel good. His brother clapped him on the shoulder, "You'll be great."

Rhaenyra smiled at her eldest boys, but her smile disappeared a moment later when Aegon leaned over the table again and hissed to his cousins, "You do know how the act is done, I assume? At least in principle? Where to put your cock and all that."