chapter 23

Gloria's Pov
"You what?" I gasped watching Aiello put the pot of water on the stove top. 

"I want to marry your daughter and move her to Queens with me" he repeated

I thought that's what he said but I still couldn't believe it "Is this because she might be pregnant or because you think she's some damsel in distress needing whisked away from her crumbling tower" I asked unsure of his reasonings and wanting to see his response

"Lydia is no Damsel, I know she can handle life without me, she's a woman who can and will get things done needing no help. But I want to be there for her even though I know she doesn't need me. I will be here for her if she is pregnant and if she'll want me, I'm asking this because last night when Paul fired those two rounds, I wasn't scared for my life. but when we pulled down the blinds and I saw Lydia standing there... I can't live in a life without your daughter Mrs. Swills." He confessed 

 We stared at each other long enough that the kettle started to whistle and the clear water was now black from the coffee grounds. 

"If she says yes… then you may marry my daughter. " I finally answered. 

Winona's POV
The burning pain in my nose was all I could feel as I inhaled every white substance from my vanity. 

I should feel some form of regret for speaking to Miriam the way I had just moments before she was killed but I couldn't feel that emotion. I didn't even feel the hatred that we had for each other any more. I didn't care that I was a bitch, I'm from a well to do family we demand the respect owed to us from our title. I even thought I had Claude in my clutches but last night I caught him across the hall kissing a gal from the debutante club. I know I should have told him I saw him. I took my anger out on Miriam instead… 

I stared deeper into my steel grey eyes searching them for any ounce of a soul left. "where is the guilt that should be weighing on me…" I breathed, before pulling out my little tin "maybe it's time for a little more of a buzz at least unit I can finally feel again. " I whispered lining up the damning white powder on my vanity once more.

Lydia's POV 
The sun shines intoy eyes but all I could do was I glare out my window, hoping to find some clouds drifting away, only to find my heart racing as they did so. I rose to my feet and staggered to the door locking it so I wouldn't be interrupted during the mental breakdown I was ready to give in to. I leaned against my bedroom door and looked around my room slowly sliding down to the floor. last night I truly believed everything had been my fault, but now I felt heat boiled through my chest rising through me.

"I did everything for you that I could" I whispered so no one could hear me "You kept hurting me... even sent heartbreak through our families." my eyes burned, my lungs slowly drew in air giving into the most painful emotion that burst through my soul "I did what you told me too, I moved on but for some reason you still tried to keep a foot in the door" I squeaked. "Why? Why?...." I dragged more air into my chest "why?" I breathed out. I glanced at the window until I heard the door knob on my door jiggle.

Gerty's pov
Zussman, Stiles, Mickey, and Luciana had left to get some rest and Daniel's and Hazel were getting their things ready to go home while Lucy and Little Joseph played.

I carefully carried a tray of breakfast to Lydia knowing damn well she wouldn't be in the mood but I kept getting a nagging feeling like dad himself was nagging me to check on my sister. That and I needed to focus on something else or I knew the moment i stopped the grief would wash over me.

My heart sank as I went to turn the handle on her bedroom door. Is it locked? it's locked. IT'S LOCKED! I started with a soft knock on the door 

"Please let me be alone right now" Lydia called from the other side of the door