chapter 30

Chapter 30 
Gloria's pov

 With a cigarette in one hand and an old photo in the other, my eyes fixated on An old family picture from when I was merely sixteen years old. If only I knew that perfect family in the picture.would be destroyed five years later… 

My eyes fell on Anna Lee, who stood in between myself and Priscilla who was the youngest of us girls.

 I thought I'd be able to keep Anna Lee's story away from the girls but after Priscillas little outburst I knew it wouldn't be too long before they shook me down for an explanation… 

I choked back the lump in my throat with a slow drag of my cigarette "I guess I should've shared it sooner so you could have been in on the secret too Miriam" I whispered

Seeing her coffin be rolled onto a train smashed my heart like a hammer against glass. Clutching the picture to my chest I went into the living room.

I stood in my doorway watching the girls in the living room. Visions of me and my sisters sat amongst them danced in my thoughts 

"So you're meeting Aiello's mom today? How's that gonna go?" Judy murmured. 

My mouth dropped when I saw Judy's legs draped over the arm rest while her head rested in Lydia's lap. Seeing Lydia playing with Judy's hair had me seeing memories of Miriam braiding each of the girls' hair in the pajamas as they buzzed over a fashion catalog.

"I'm not sure"  Lydia sighed "Frank told me she knows about…  well… everything… I'm just so nervous I'm not even sure if it's morning sickness or fear of this woman I've never met." Lydia rambled. 

"I can't say I say blame you for being nervous, Daniel's mentioned Aiello used to be quite the bigot I wonder if his mom is even more opinionated than him" Judy mumbled 

"Well maybe it's a good thing we're related to Priscilla, who knew her hate speeches would prepare me for this moment in my life" Lydia half heartedly chuckled. Her chuckle gave me a perfect moment to interject.

"You know she's actually tame compared to when we were kids" I interrupted, stepping toward the couch. I was so focused on Judy and Lydia I hadn't noticed Gerty who was sitting on the other Davenport with her legs against the back of the couch with her laying on the seat and her hair dangling towards the floor. 

My voice sent her and judy in a panic to find a more lady pose. "Oh it's not the first time I caught you sitting around in odd ways." I teased taking a seat beside Gerty 

"Whatchya got there mom?" Lydia gestured towards the picture. I held my hand on it while flurries and bubbles whirled inside me. 

"Its a family portrait from when I was in school" I began sending the picture around the girls. 

"Well that younger girl is obviously Priscilla, but whos the third girl we always thought it was only you two" Gerty pointed to the girl beside me. 

"We are the only two left… but the girl in the middle was my sister Anna Lee… she died when Roger and I were dating" I explained. Passing the picture to Lydia and Judy. 

"How did she die?" Judy inquired. Her brows borrowed into the bridge of her nose while she read my face for clues.  

"Her obituary says she killed herself… but in reality she was murdered," I breathed. 

I looked at each of my daughters. Their wide eyes demanded more and I knew it would be easier to explain from the beginning.

"First let's start with the very beginning." I stated. "My maiden name is actually Miver. We're cousins to Winona's family, so just like your father I came from a very wealthy family." I explained.