chapter 33

One week before the wedding
Gerty's pov

I stared at the white dress hung on my closet door before me, running my fingers across the simple fabric.

"It's plain yet elegant," Lydia breathed. My head tilted to the side, I grabbed the veil from the top of the hanger and smoothed it over the front of the dress.

"I must be dreaming," I whispered. Lydia reached up and pinched my arm. A jab went through my arm proving that this was no dream. I looked at Lydia. Her stomach had a small pudge to it now. There was no denying that her baby was going to be big and healthy.

I put my hand on her stomach and leaned close "your momma thinks she's so funny little bun" I cooed.

"I had to prove you weren't dreaming otherwise you'd just float to the clouds" she shrugged

"Mhm," I mumbled, turning my attention back to the dress. "Did you remember to grab your shoes from the cobbler?" I inquired

"Yes" she nodded only to stop mid nod "I forgot to get them out of the Plymouth" she groaned

"Guess you'll be barefoot until Judy gets back to the house," I teased "what time does Frank get here?" I asked

Lydia blew air out of her mouth, her feet half waddle walked till she reached my bed to sit down. "Adelia said he and her husband would be getting to Chicago tonight. She said that he could drive her car until we leave for Queens." She explained

"Natasha and his mom butting out yet?" I asked, sitting down beside her.

Lydia shrugged "she tried to come with him to quote see Adelia and her offsprings end quote"

A smirk grew on my lips "look at you using Judy words." I teased.

Lydia rolled her eyes before getting up from my bed rubbing her tummy as she walked out of my room "come on little bun aunty Gerty is being sassy and we need more food if we're going to be subjected to such harsh conditions" she laughed.

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. I looked back at the dress. Losing my thoughts as I reached up and danced my fingers along the sleeve. "Who would have thought it all started with a kiss." I mumbled.

"I sure as hell wouldn't have" Zussmans voice answered from my doorway.

I ran to the dress, hooking it into the door of my wardrobe to hide it before looking at him. I was met with a blindfolded Zussman when I looked his way.

"Is that Judy's scarf from the coat rack? " I giggled, letting him struggle to find me.

"I have no idea. Lydia tossed this thing over my eyes and said not to peak" he answered, flailing his arms around to find me "she said it was bad luck. I thought it was bad luck to see you on our wedding day not the week of" he ranted

I stepped into his arms giving him a kiss on the cheek. I turned him toward the living room so we could visit anywhere but here "My dress is out" I explained, "you can't see it until our wedding day."

"What's with all these hocus pocus bad luck stuff anyways?" He argued ripping the scarf from his face the moment we were out of my room.

Lydia stormed into the living room wielding a tin full of crackers. Her scoff echoing around the home. Then with her best Irish accent she scolded us "tis tradition! You do not marry an Irish lass and think you get out of a long line of tradition."

Mom clicked her heels as she walked into the living room from her room, purposely announcing her presence without saying a word.

"You're only half right ly," she piped up "it's only considered superstitious if Zussman sees Gerty in Her dress on their wedding day"

Zussman smirked, sending a wink towards mom "you know in that case I should see the dress to make sure I match and all" he teased.

"Then where would the grand reveal be? You would already know what dress I'm wearing, it wouldn't be very eye catching for you" I groaned.

Lydia's crunch of a cracker sounded through the room "itd be more breathtaking with you in it" she crowed.

I rolled my eyes noticing her pick up the letter she had neglected to open for a while now.

"Oh I hope this wasn't anything important she muttered crinkling the paper while fumbling the letter and tin of crackers.

She let out a growled mimicking an exasperated demon in a basement annoyed with their dilly dallying victim.

"Aha" she purred, freeing the letter without dropping a single cracker.

"I think pregnant Lydia is an absolute silly goose" mom teased, but the grin that flooded Lydia's face ebbed away.

Her face grew red, if steam could billow out of her ears she'd be a train. "That son of a bitch" she whispered "that lousy, lying, no good, rotten, son of a bitch" she shouted.

"What did it say? Wait, is something
burning?" Mom sniffed the air. smoke drifted from the kitchen.

"My damn toast" Lydia seethed, her bare feet slapping against the hardwood floor from her storming from the kitchen.

"I'm looking" I piped up my eyes darting between the kitchen and the phone table where she left the envelope.

I pulled out the first paper and saw pictures of Aiello kissing a woman on the front steps of a house.

I dropped the pictures when I heard Lydia storming back into the living room. "I'm going to kill him" she hissed heading straight for the door.

Mom stepped aside letting her go outside.

"Isn't anyone going to stop her? " Zussman inquired looking between mom and I.

Mom held up her hand then pointed to the door.

"SHIT" Lydia screeched before stomping back inside ''Judy still has the car. The only shoes that fit these swollen paddles for feet are in the car" she slammed the door shut. The pictures on the wall wiggled on place, the breeze played with the curtains, and lydia was swearing with every step up the stairs she took.

"Still think she's a silly goose?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"That was new even for Lydia" mom nodded. "What caused all that anyways?"

"Someone sent Lydia a picture of Aiello kissing another woman" I answered bringing the envelope closer to provide a visual aid.

"That's that gal he was dating" Zussman crowed "Natasha! Natasha? No..." he snapped his fingers and pointed to the picture "Natalia, man he would stare at this picture for hours when he was resting up"

"I see the pictures being frustrated but if this was before they broke up why would she be so... ah, did you see the back? " mom inquired handing the picture back to me

"June? 1946... that's not right though" Zussman barked " Aiello had that same picture folded behind his pack of cigarettes on his helmet"

My eyes widened "you don't think his mom would stop so low do you?"

Lydia stomped back down the stairs with her house slippers on and snatched the photo from us. She went out the door and down the steps, no one dared to follow her not when she was still wearing her slippers and murder in her eyes.