15] The Grim Reapers Disappointment.

Chapter -XV

Taehyung was leaning over a pillar with a drink in his hand when Jungkook joined his side. A glare permanently etched on his face as he looked at the numerous children around them, all sat in complete silence wearing the colours of Yoongi's kingdom. All blatantly royal, hair pampered back and clothes made with fine material. He scoffed and nudged Taehyung slightly to get his full attention.

“What’s with all these well-behaved children?” he sneered. He looked over at Junghoon's failed attempt at making conversation with one of them. “I tried to convince one to sneak in extra dessert and she didn’t take it.”

Taehyung glanced at the child Jungkook was referring to, her hands still firmly placed on her thigh, eyes frozen on the floor. “They’re scared of you. Unless it’s a trap and you take their head off.”

Jungkook squinted at the nearest child. A small boy with blonde hair and blue eyes, who hid his face in his scarf once he realised eyes were on him. He pointed a finger and the boy flinched. “Take the cake,” he ordered.

The child froze, his face pale as a sheet. He blinked once, then again and then bursted in tears. Jungkook looked around, baffled and crossed his arms as he watched Taehyung rush to his side. As irritated as he was, seeing Taehyung lift the boy up into his arms whispering comforting words to his ear unlocked a fantasy he had kept shut for long. He looked good with a child, he looked good with anything. Jungkook let himself dream, it was the only thing he could do that didn’t end up with his heart pleading him to stop. Once the boy had settled he placed him in Junghoon's arms and returned back to Jungkook's pout.

“At least my own children love me.”

“You have children?” Taehyung questioned, shocked.

“Calm your jealousy. Every child in my kingdom is mine. I am their guardian," he grinned as he inched closer. 

“I was not jealous,” he scowled. The corner of his lips twitched once he registered the words. It was a side of Jungkook he never got to see, a side of many he had kept to himself, only glimpses were given for Taehyung to take if he wished to do so. “I couldn’t imagine you around them.”

“You have a lot yet to see. We have very important meetings with them. The lack of paint supplies is atrocious and I am being subjected to changing it.”

“And if you refuse?”

“Absolute disaster, a war will start. I’m not even sure I can save you from their hands. Maybe I’ll invite you to the next one, and you can witness the tension yourself.”

Taehyung fought the smile off his face, but he nodded nonetheless and let the ease of the conversion lull him to acceptance. The last tightness in his chest slipped away. And all that remained was comfort, the peace between them whispering words like secrets.

The ease didn’t last very long as he sat beside Jungkook twenty minutes later, on the long table, in the main room where the invitation was held. It was awkward to say. Yoongi had exchanged two words to Jungkook before turning his entire body away to Junghoon. Jungkook acted indifferent, not at all angry or displeased with the treatment, like it was normal for him to be ignored like this.

Junghoon was fighting with his life not to fall asleep as his eyes tried so hard to keep them open as he conversed with the King, topics swayed from types of bread, to poetry and fighting styles. Taehyung chose not to interrupt, nibbling on his food every now and then. He let his friend suffer alone.

“Have you addressed my husband?” Jungkook had finally spoken. Taehyung gawked from the side and then back down. “I don’t recall hearing you introduce yourself.”