24] If only time was a concept we could take back,

Chapter -XXIV

“...it was truly horrifying, I agree, what happened between our Kingdoms...”

'Sweetheart, can you hear me? Look towards me and nod if you can.'

Startled at the sudden intrusion of Jungkook's voice, Taehyung tipped his head to the side and nodded ever so slowly at him, before shifting his focus back to Jin.

“Of course everything went down when your husband killed my father,” Jin continued, his chin in his palm reminiscing the memories of the tragic events, “his sword was still left inside when I saw him on the floor covered in his own blood.”

'I told you, I would never lie to you, so this is the truth. His father held onto my shoulder, with his hand gripping my sword as he thrusted his body into it. I didn’t kill him. I had no reason to, I looked up to him more than my own father.'

Jungkook's voice came to him airily, it held no hint of a lie, Taehyung was sure. With his eyes lowered, his ears turned onto Jin once more. It was difficult hearing the same story with two sides.

“The only thing I heard was ‘forgive ’,” Jin laughed, but his happiness was so far from his voice. It was distant, cold and almost thrilling. He shook his head and hardened his gaze, “forgive him for what, Jungkook? For dying? For leaving me all alone?”

'For killing himself.'

Hearing the words sent a shiver down Taehyung's skin, the tips of his fingers bitter, his blood drained. He opened his mouth to speak but Jungkook's sharp voice interrupted his attempt. Maybe his words would have been one of calm, of comfort, of anger. He wasn’t sure what he could have offered if Jungkook didn’t stop him.

'Do not speak. Just listen.'

A disturbing screeching sound echoed around as his chair slid back. He began to walk up and down between the two, a hand in his pocket, casually waving the other around. “We should go back a little shouldn’t we?” he asked, but the question was to recall his own memory and not for the interest of his guests. “Let’s start six months before the assassination.”

'The first day of summer. The first time I saw you.'

“Jungkook and his father would visit your clan, your home, on a regular schedule…”

'You looked so beautiful darling, your eyes glowed underneath the sun. You were a breath of fresh air while I was drowning in the sea. I’ll never forget it. You were training, the breeze through your hair, the smile on your lips. It followed me everywhere.'

Taehyung fixed his look on Jungkook. His head was lifted slightly, the red in his eyes dim, the smirk on his face gone, an absolute state of distress. Jin's voice tuned in his ears once again.

“They would plan and inspect. The exits, the entrances, the guards. Each family name and connection, blood, non-blood, friend, acquaintances. Each detail was recorded, everything they needed to know to successfully murder every single one of you…”

'I remember you laughing at something your father told you. While my own had his fingers clawing into my skull, telling me to focus on the task in hand. But I couldn’t. I could only see you, I could only watch and admire you.'

“... they came often after that. Once a week, maybe twice, excusing their visits as an army hunt, to view the strongest amongst your clan to take back to become warriors,” Jin laughed, tutting at the obscenity of it all.

'I slowly fell for you, I didn’t know I was falling, sweetheart. I crashed before I knew it. The crash didn’t kill me like I had hoped, it kept me alive to watch you burn instead.'