10.

Edited : 02/06/24

First-person (Erin)

I was peacefully drinking my tea on the kitchen table talking to Lockwood when a loud knock hit our front door.

"Open the door." Could be heard from the other side, by an unknown voice.

Lockwood sighed and walked to the door, while I followed his footsteps. He opened the door, and on the other side, we could see a short, plump lady with reddish hair.

"Get the girl." She said harshly.

Lockwood gave me a look and trotted away to find the girl.

Which left me all alone, facing the angry-looking woman. We stayed silent the entire time, but Lockwood soon came back up with Lucy.

The silence was awkward, and nobody dared to speak. Lockwood only gave me a slight nod and told me they'll be back soon, before closing the door.

And I was now left alone, I don't mind being alone, I'm used to it. But right now something was bothering me, actually, the whole Lucy situation was bothering me.

And I decided that the best decision I should take is to annoy George about it. I rushed to my room and took a few bits and bobs that could help with my new project and then, rushed back towards George's room.

I softly kick the door announcing my presence and opened the door. I saw him turn in his chair and looked at me annoyed.

"You can just knock, like a normal person, instead of you know, kicking my door down." He groaned.

"It was a soft kick." I huffed at him.

I plopped loudly on his bed and he turned back to whatever research he was doing.

I took the screwdriver and started tightening some pieces. After a short silence, I spoke up.

"So... Lucy."

He turned to me and raised a brow.

"Is that why you're here."

"I just want to know what's your opinion on her. She's causing a whole bunch of trouble." I mumbled the last part.

"You think she's too much trouble?" George asked.

"She seems nice, even if she's a bit weird with me. But she's causing some much trouble, for the company, our reputation and for Lockwood..." I sighed.

"But she's really gifted, she could really help us."

"I guess," I mumbled again.

"I think you're just jealous of him because you are no longer Lockwood's favourite." He teased and I gasped.

"How dare you? Me? Jealous? Jealousy is an ugly emotion that I don't feel." I scrunched my nose at him.

"Right." He said sarcastically. "So you're not bothered by the fact that Lockwood and Lucy and awfully close." He raised his brows.

"No, of course not!" I lied.

"Yeah, you kept telling yourself that." He smirked.

I huffed one last time and turned my attention to my project. No more words were exchanged between me and George, but I did occasionally look at him in the corner of my eye.

It was soon night and Lockwood and Lucy were still not back. George and I are now in the kitchen just chatting.

"Is it just me or is becoming really cold all of a sudden." I shivered.

"Yes, it is just you," George said.

"Meanie," I scrunched my nose at him. "I'll go check the hallway." I got up from my usual place at the table and headed towards the hallway.