21.

Edited : 25/08/24

First person.(Erin)

"I hope they still work this patch. It's been a while." Lockwood chuckled.

"I also hope so, we've been searching every corner of the Thames all day," I complained.

It was now completely dark out, it was only the moon and the far-away light illuminating our path.

It was well past dinner time and the only thing I ate was a biscuit at breakfast. Lockwood didn't even want to stop at lunch, because the "search is more important."

More important my ass.

"If there relic men, won't they be in hiding with Fittes being all over town." Lucy wondered.

"Probably. This one's a bit different, though."

"What? Not an evil, thieving bastard, then?" The other girl rolled her eyes.

"I hate to disappoint Lucy, but theft is not the worst crime out there. There is murder, you know. At least most relic men aren't also murdering bastards." I shrugged.

"Yeah, and we badly need her help, so just... try to be nice, yeah?" Lockwood turned to Lucy.

"When am I not nice." Lucy frowned.

"Wait." I stopped.

"Her?" "Her?!" Both me and Lucy said at the same time.

We give each other a confused look.

I speed up to catch up to Lockwood while Lucy lagged behind.

"Wait Lockwood, you didn't tell me she was a girl." I huff catching my breath. "Us, I mean, you didn't tell us."

"Why would I need to tell you?" He smiled smugly. "You jealous?"

"Absolutely not." I rolled my eyes. "Just curious."

"Right." He quirked his eyebrows.

I hit his shoulder playfully. He stops and looks into my eyes very intensely.

"What?" I asked, sceptical.

He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a loud screeching catching us off guard.

We turn to look at where it's coming from.

Behind us was Lucy getting chased by a ghost.

"Run!" Lockwood yelled.

"Cold maiden," Lucy yelled back. "Lockwood!"

She tripped and fell on the floor. She shuffled to get her rapier.

The ghost was about to reach her when it suddenly vanished.

We ran up to Lucy and helped her up.

She was breathless.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I did." A loud voice said flatly.

We turn around to be met by a woman.

"Evening, Locky." The lady smiled. "Who are the latest slappers?"

"'Scuse me?" Lucy asked deeply offended.

I was also deeply offended. My face burned red. I do up my sleeves and charged forward.

"Who are you calling a—-" Lockwood interrupted me and placed his arm in front of me. Stopping me from approaching the woman.

"These are my associates, Lucy Carlyle, and... Erin Sallow."

"Oh? So you're a Sallow. How funny." She said to me, with a smirk on her face.