20.

Edited : 25/08/24

First-person (Erin.)

I was sipping my tea in silence, waiting for something to happen.

Lucy was staring at the creepy ghost jar we own.

Lockwood had just walked in, looking for something to eat.

And George wasn't here yet, god knows what he's doing.

"What are you doing?" Lockwood asked Lucy.

The girl's attention was now on Lockwood.

"Trying to get us a head start, but it's playing hard to get." She said.

"Has it talked since last time?" I ask.

"No, not one bit." She said. "You ok?" She asked Lockwood.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?"

She rolled her eyes and looked at me.

"And you?"

"Tired," I replied.

"What? Didn't get much sleep last night?" She whispered and gave me a wink.

I flush and kick her lightly under the table.

"Perv," I whispered back.

"Don't worry about the skull." The boy interrupted our little chat. "We've already got a head start on Kipps's crew. We'll be in and out of the cemetery before they even finish their cornflakes." He half-joked.

"What if it meant the mirror" Lucy seemed to not really listen to what Lockwood had to say.

"What?"

"The skull. Right? It said death is coming. What if the mirror is death." She said.

"Then I say bring it on." Lockwood smiled.

"Umm no? I'm not risking my life for a stupid mirror, I'm not that deranged." I shrugged.

"It's not a stupid mirror, it's an ancient artefact." The missing member of the team said as he came through the door.

"Even more reason! I don't want to be cursed, screw that." I rolled my eyes. "Morning, by the way."

"Yeah, morning," George mumbled.

Lockwood gave both of us a weird look.

The boy walked up next to me and was about to pour himself a cup of coffee.

"There's no time for that. You can grab one on route to the archives." Lockwood told him.

"I thought we were going to the cemetery?" George asked.

"We are." He pointed to me and Lucy. "Come on." Lucy got up but I was still sitting finishing my tea. " I need you to go down to the archives and find out everything you can about the mirror and Bickerstaff. Today is make or break."

"Only 'cause you turned this job into a pissing contest." George didn't seem pleased.

"Are you still in a mood about that?"  Lockwood rolled his eyes.

"Did you forget what we went through to save this place? If I have to tell my parents I've lost another job because you and Kipps—-"

"We won't lose."

"Won't we? How do you know? Are you psychic now?" George scoffed. "You're telling me I don't have time to drink coffee. Let alone assess the crime scene and—-"

I slam my cup of tea and the table, interrupting George.

"Enough. Both of you." I said, exasperated. "George you can come with us, look at the scene and then go to the archives. And Lockwood, don't be a prick, give him two quid for a coffee." I got out of my seat, walking towards the hallway. "This is not the way to start the morning. Both of you make an effort, don't want to hear you bickering all day." I rolled my eyes.