23.

Edited : 25/08/24

First-person (Erin)

Lucy fumbled with her keys as she tried opening the door. Once unlocked she pushed it open and we rushed in.

"You said midnight!" George said worried as he exited the kitchen.

"You didn't wait up, did you?" Lucy asked.

"Of course I did. Where's the mirror?" He panicked. "What the hell have you three been doing?"

"I'll tell you later," Lockwood said breathlessly.

The conversation was interrupted by a loud banging at the door. We turn around in worry.

"Who's that?" George gulped.

Lockwood gave us a warning look and walked to the door.

Lucy and I had our hands on our rapiers and tiptoed behind Lockwood.

He looked through the peephole of the door.

"It's Carver." He huffed.

Lucy and I drew our swords, and one of my arms was placed in front of George.

"Who's Carver?" The boy behind me asked.

"Danny's partner..." I mumbled.

Lockwood placed his hand on the handle ready to open the door. His rapier also at the ready.

He opened the door, ready to defend.

In stumbled a scrawny man, he dragged his feet and wobbled.

He suddenly fell face first on the floor, his back was covered in blood and had a large dagger sticking out.

"Oh my god!" George exclaimed.

"Lucy, call an ambulance now." Lockwood's voice trembled.

Lucy whimpered and ran off.

"Jesus." he mumbled, " Who did this to you?" Lockwood fell onto his knees, and George kneeled down to have a closer look.

I stayed paralysed, didn't move an inch, my eyes fixated on the man on the floor.

"Bone glass." He mumbled.

"What did he say?" Lockwood asked.

Lucy rushed back in and also kneeled on the ground.

"Bone glass? What does that mean?" George asked him. "Is that the mirror?"

"Seven. Not one." The man mumbled again.

"Seven what?" George grew irritated. "Did you look into it? What did you see?"

"Terrible things." He wheezed.

"Where?" Lucy asked. "Where to?"

We all looked at her confused?

"Huh? What did you hear?" George asked panicked.

"He wants us to go with him." She explained quietly.

"Lucy... he's dead," Lockwood told her.

She looked back down at the body and stayed quiet. The whaling of an ambulance in the street interrupted the silence.

Multiple people in uniforms rushed into the house. They asked us to step away, we stayed in the living room. Not long after the body was moved DEPRAC workers stepped in.

Inspector Barnes was also here.

"It's a Mughal dagger," George said, talking to the inspector. "Indian, 16th century. They usually come in pairs, so if we find the other one, we find who killed Carver." He handed the evidence bag back to Barnes.