4.

Edited: 01/06/24
First-person (Erin)

3 months before Lucy's arrival

Exiting the basement was easy because no one seemed bothered to guard the door. Lockwood and I were tiptoeing up the basement stairs. Once we got up Lockwood started whispering our plan.

"The first thing we do is find George, he's somewhere in the house" his voice was low and husky.

"Where were you guys before you got caught," I whispered back.

"In a library," he said with confidence.

"Do you think he would still be there?" I questioned.

"Let's hope so." He said before he looked around the corner to see if anyone was there. He moved into the hallway, me not too far behind.

"Maybe I should be the one leading, this is my house." I teased.

"Umm yeah I guess" he let me pass in front of him and I lead the way towards the library. Luckily it wasn't too far.

I entered first letting Lockwood in after me.

"George?" Lockwood whispered into the room quietly.

Only a few moments later George came out behind a bookshelf, with a look of relief on his face.

"Oh thank god you're here! see I told you this was a bad idea." The poor boy sounded exasperated.

"Come on we need to hurry and find the source and then we can leave," Lockwood explained as he stopped whispering.

"So..." he turned towards me "do you know where it is?" He asked.

"Oh, what is she doing here" George pointed his finger at me, confused that he didn't notice me before.

"She helping us," Lockwood said firmly. I nodded in affirmation, and George scrunched his eyebrows, probably wondering why I was helping.

"Ok, so the sources are kept in a vault and the ground floor. I'll draw a map and the code of the door, so you don't get lost." I explained in detail.

"You're not coming with us?" George asked me confused, I could tell that Lockwood was also confused by the look on his face.

"Listen, if I get caught with you, I'll be thrown out and if I leave I have nowhere to go, I don't really have a choice..." I fidgeted with my fingers.

"Then come with us?" George stated as if it was the most obvious solution in the world.

"What?!" "What?" Both Lockwood and I said at the same time both with a mix of confusion and shock.

"What?" George shrugged his shoulders "I can obviously tell you don't want to stay here, so come with us" he then turn to Lockwood and continued talking "she could be useful at the agency."

Lockwood looked at him, baffled as if it was really out of character for his friend to invite someone to stay in their agency, someone who they both barely knew, who they only met properly hours ago, who stole something from them.

Lockwood shook his head snapping himself out of his thoughts.

"So you're going to return to the basement?" He said.

"I guess..." I didn't really know what I was going to do.

Lockwood sighed and looked a George for a moment.

"Come on, you're coming with us," Lockwood signed (again). George had a content smile on his face. "But let's not waste time" Lockwood soon exited the library me and George following behind.