Edge of Seventeen

'Morning Cliff.'

'Morning early bird'
Cliff cordially tipped his cap as I scanned my ID card and headed through the barriers and towards the elevators. I had nearly completed my first week at Sullitainment and I honestly don't think it could have gone any better.
I'd arrive at 8 am and get a good few hours of admin work completed before the office sprung to life and everyone showed up, Amaya had been amazing, she'd gone way above and beyond the realms of handing over. Thanks to her, I was hooked up with a shiny top-of-the-range company car so I didn't have to do the 40-minute metro ride every day, I had all the inside scoops on who's who, what's what, and access to clubs, bars, restaurants, clothing that I would never have known about if I had been left to my own devices. Her girlfriend Paula had been amazing too, she'd set Eden up with some links and she was now working weekends at one of LA's elite galleries. Yep, all in all, things couldn't be any better.

I adjusted my ponytail in the reflection of the metallic elevator doors and mulled over my day ahead as I was catapulted up to the 30th floor. Jackson would be in the office early today, he'd been great too, even though I could tell he was worried about me not living up to Amaya's legacy, but he remained patient through obvious gritted teeth, and offered advice where he could.
I stepped out of the elevator and headed over to my office. I loved the quiet of the early mornings, it was such a contrast to the hectic afternoons when everyone was in and wanted to chat, meet, or lose their minds over the latest gossip that had just dropped, it was bedlam most of the time. I paused, as I do each time I enter my office, and was awed at the view of the city of angels below me, every time I lose my breath slightly as if seeing it for the first time. The office was in keeping with the futuristic/industrial vibe of the building and being nearly as big as my whole apartment, I'd definitely hit the jackpot with this 'internship'. I slipped my bag off my shoulder and dropped it onto the edge of my oversized desk. Jackson's office was right next to mine, connecting us with a door only lockable on his side, and was the polar opposite with its dark wooden furniture and dim lighting. He did say I could decorate mine however I liked, make it my own space, but I kinda like that we're Ying and Yang like some metaphorical symbolism for the contrasting balance we both bring and the fact that he had offered me that privilege was a welcoming sign that he saw me sticking around for a while.

I headed through the connecting door and left his black coffee on his desk as he messaged late last night and said he would be in at my time. There was a slight panic in the air yesterday as everyone rallied around to ensure everything was in place for the boys' visit today. Amaya told me it was a really important day for them and the company, the boys had taken some time off to rest after their last album went triple platinum, but today they were coming back to discuss new terms of their contract, the timeline for the next album and plans for their first world tour.
Jackson had felt the pressure this week, he knew the boys had been getting many offers to move labels and all sorts of promises had been thrown about by other companies, but Mr Sullivan had been exceptionally clear that if he fucked it up and lost them, well then that would be the end for him at SEI.
My stomach flipped as I stood back at my window and realized that the end for him would most likely also mean the end for me, I can't be a personal assistant to a guy that doesn't work there anymore, and if they would treat him that way, heck, they certainly held no loyalties towards the new girl who keeps jamming the photocopier.
It will be fine. It will be fine. I affirmed over and over again until I heard my name being screeched from next door.

"Ah, good your here."

Jackson was pulling papers from his binder.

"Law have just sent these over, but they've only sent me one copy. Can you run me 6, no, 8 more copies please?"

"Morning." I calmly responded as I took the papers from him.

"Huh, oh yeah, morning. This me?" He picked up the coffee before I could respond and placed it to his lips.