Faithless

We speed back down the hills and Axel had me back to my neighbourhood in just a few minutes. I had briefly filled him in when he secured my helmet but other than that we said nothing on the drive back. My mind ticked over with all sorts of scenarios. What if me or Eden had been home when it happened. What if she walked in when it was happening and got hurt, and I was up in the hills falling for the charms of Mr Arrogant whilst she was alone and needed me. I shook the thoughts from my vision as the red and blue lights head came into view. Axel gently pulled up behind one of the cop cars and I jumped straight off the bike, not waiting for his help as I wrestled with the dam helmet.

"Ma'am." A young cop called out as I pushed past. "You can't..."

"Liv!" Edens voice echoed over the commotion and I ran towards her, ignoring the continued shouts from the officer.

"Ed." I cried out as my arms flung around her disheveled frame. "Are you ok? Were you hurt?" My voice broke as I held her out at arms length and inspected her.

"No, I'm fine. They'd gone long before I came home. I'm just shook up. I thought something had happened to you when I came back and saw your car, and the apartment and then I couldn't get hold of you and you hadn't checked in. I thought..." Her voice shattered and she broke into hysterical tears as she wrapped herself back around me.

"It's ok, I'm ok." I whispered holding her tightly.

"Miss Anderson?" A stern voice spoke from behind me.

"Yes." I croaked, still clinging onto Eden as she sobbed into me.

"Miss Anderson, I am detective Shard and this is detective Baker. We met before when you reported criminal damage to your vehicle.

I looked over my shoulder to find the two detectives who dealt with the incident at Sullitainment a few weeks back.

"It appears your colleagues concerns were not unwarranted Miss Anderson and you were indeed the victim of a targeted attack." The female spoke matter of factly as her partner eyed Axel, who I hadn't realised was now standing beside me.

"What does that mean?" I cut in.

"Shall we go inside?" She stepped aside, her calf length coat flapped as she moved with pace and purpose, and I held Edens hand tighter as we moved into the entrance of the complex.

"Sir, you will have to wait here." Baker, who looked half the height but twice the weight of Axel held his hand out in front of him preventing him from following us inside.

"He's with me. Let him through." I ordered over my shoulder.

"But..." Baker went to protest but the sharp sting of his partners stare stopped him and he eyed Axel again as he followed in after him.

There were more cops outside our apartment as we took the last steps to our floor. Eden shot me a watery glance as we approached our broken front door.

"Miss Anderson," The clip of Shards heels on the concrete floor came to an abrupt halt as she turned to face me. "I understand this will be quite distressing for you to see, however, I must ask you questions as we walk around and if you notice anything at all, not matter how insignificant it may appear to you, please share it with us."

I nodded as if on autopilot whilst Eden gripped my hand even tighter and although he remained silently in the background, I felt Axel's presence firmly planted behind me. We walked through the broken doorframe. I could see the splinters of wood protruding from the forced lock.

"Please don't touch anything yet, my colleagues are still collecting evidence so please, for the moment refrain from touching or moving anything until they have finished." Shards transatlantic accent cut through the faint electrical humming and shuffling of feet on the hardwood floor that filled the apartment. The living room and kitchen looked like the aftermath of a frat party. "Do you notice anything missing or unusual?" Shard turned and eyed us both.