Born again

The day of the launch came hastily. I arrived in the office early to ensure everything was in motion. Jackson had not long appeared after me and was already raising his voice at someone over the phone.

"I'm going to get coffee," I whispered as I peered around his office door, desperate for any excuse to not end up in the firing line of his frustrations.

He shook his head and gestured for me to wait. After another foul-mouthed rant at whoever was on the other end, he pulled the phone away from his ear. "We've got to go over to Sullivans, we'll get one on the way." He whispered in my direction before going back to his tirade.

I pulled the door too and quickly texted my Mom letting her know that I was not going to be able to join her, Clara and Julia for lunch anymore. She would hate me for this after I'd managed to convince her to go with them on the promise that I would catch up with them for lunch, but there would be no way I could make it back in time if we were now having to go to Sullivans.

"Ready?" Jackson appeared not allowing me any further time to worry over my mother's response.

"Sure." I shrugged on my jacket and grabbed my bag before following him out of the room. His pace was quicker than usual making me almost have to jog to keep up as we headed for the elevator.

Jackson's attention remained on his phone as we made our way down to the parking lot. "It's probably best if we go separately, then we can head straight home from Sullivans."

"You can get your own coffee then." I winked playfully, finally getting him to look up from his screen.

"Go to the drive-thru on west, I'll follow you." He winked back and disappeared into his car without a second glance.

I guess you mean I'll follow you." I muttered as I got into my car and he drove towards the entrance. I tailed him around to the Starbucks and pulled up my app ready to claim those valuable points. Jackson edged forward allowing me enough space to pull up to the window. I waited patiently as the server continued to ignore me, eventually walking away altogether. Jackson moved forward to the collection window and collected his drink. The lady suddenly reappeared smiling wildly.

"Once large Chai latte." She proudly presented me with the cup. "Can I take your loyalty card?"

I looked at her through narrowed eyes, processing what was happening.

"The gentleman ahead brought you the drink and said to put the points on your card. You've certainly taken his eye." She winked at me.

"He's my boss, I know him."

"I see." She continued to smile at me.

"We're not together, he's married, and has a child on the way." I stuttered over my words as I held my phone out for her to scan the QR code.

"None of my business dear. I just serve the drinks." Her smile quickly faded. "Have the day you deserve." She closed the window and I quickly put my phone back in its hostler and my drink in the cup holder next to me, leaving the window wide open to cool my flushed face.

'Jackson calling' My car bellowed as I pulled forward.

"Hey," I answered, hitting the accept button on my steering wheel.

"You're welcome." He chuckled.

"For what, having that lady and now the whole of that Starbucks thinking I'm a home wrecker?" I checked my mirror as I pulled out onto the freeway. The car that had followed us into the drive-thru was now keeping close behind us as we moved forward.

"What?" His voice cackled through the speakers as he laughed.

"Nothing forget it." I huffed, checking my mirrors again as I changed lanes. "Jackson I don't know where Sullivan lives so you're gonna have to go slow and let me follow you."